Run out issue, need some help

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Run out issue, need some help

Postby TNSean » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:20 pm

Put the axle and tires on the NT 5'x8' bolt together today and one of the tires has a lot of runout. It is pretty wobbly when you spin it. The other tire is pretty true.

I am out of my realm here guys.

Any suggestions on how to tackle the problem?

I guess I can swap the hub then wheel/tire and try to find out what the issue is.

EDIT - I think I need to first make sure I have the hubs installed correctly.

How tight should you tighten the castle nut before backing it off? I want to make sure the bearings are seated completely.
TNSean
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Run out issue, need some help

Postby Padilen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Check out E Trailer they have a lot of info. Id tell you my way but it might not be the PC way.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:04 pm

If you don't have a dial indicator and magnetic base, you can use a stiff piece of wire and clamp it to the axle or brake flange. Bend the wire so that it acts like a "curb feeler" just skimming the surface to be checked. This should give you a pretty good indication as to where the problem is; hub, wheel, or tire.

Like you said, check that the bearings are seated properly in the hubs. Check the run out of the hub at the flange diameter (concentric) and face (wobble). Check that there isn't anything keeping the wheel from seating properly, and check the rim at the tire bead. Look to see if the tire bead is properly seated all round both sides of the rim, and check the tire for bulges.

You should be able to narrow it down fairly quickly.
Last edited by KCStudly on Fri May 01, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:20 pm

With the bearings did you check the bearing races are installed in the hub correctly?
They need to be taped down until properly seated with a socket or something si.ilar.
The other thing is tighten the hub nut up by hand while spinning the wheel, give it a wobble as you do it to make sure the bearings seat In the races correctly.
Then spin the hub around and tighten the nut till the hub just stops spinning then back it off a fraction until it spins freely.
The aim is to have no load or no free play. ..Basicly in the middle of these 2 peramiters as closely as possible.
Once you've achived that you will either solve the problem or at least rule out wheel bearings as the cause
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby TNSean » Fri May 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Looks like I wasn't preloading the bearings enough before I backed off on the castle nut. I went and checked a friends and my dads small trailers and the tires on my trailer run about the same as theirs so I am going to call it good. We will see how it goes.

Onward with the build!
TNSean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:03 pm

Cool!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets