Adapting HF trailer for center drop leg jack

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Adapting HF trailer for center drop leg jack

Postby ukewarrior » Fri May 08, 2015 8:31 am

So, I have had a HF trailer that I use for a utility trailer with the side swing down jack.
It works, but I can see where it could be problematic if used on a HF based Tear.

So, I have also seen where folks go to a welder and get a plate welded to support a center drop leg jack.
This is very good it seems.

However, I'd like to know what folks think and if anyone has gotten this unit from Harbor Freight and used it on the 'typical' 1720 HF 4x8 trailer?
Here's the unit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-a-frame-trailer-coupler-66951.html

Will it fit? I would think you'd need to drill some more holes to match the bolt on pattern of the coupler mount that comes with the trailer.
This seems much easier and less expensive than going to the welder.
With a coupon, this unit would only be $16.

Finally, HF has many drop leg jacks, but no Wheels adapters for it that I can find. Can anyone shed some light on that?
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Re: Adapting HF trailer for center drop leg jack

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 08, 2015 8:53 am

The standard 'A' coupler you linked to is based on an industry standard angle of 50 deg. IIRC the HF trailer tongue is not built exactly to this standard angle, although it is similar. It has been done by people welding it on, but I am skeptical about the mismatch because you want there to be intimate connection at dry fit whether welding or bolting.

My suggestion would be to pick one up, test fit it yourself, decide if you are okay with it (you are the only one who can make the final decision on your safety and the safety of those that will be around you). If you don't like how it fits, take it back for a refund.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri May 08, 2015 9:31 am

KC is correct on an exact fit, also remember those types will only raise so far up and seem to always drag/catch and get bent over a period of time. By adding a wheel or landing gear it will hang even lower unless you want to take it off and on constantly...........Just my 2 cents worth :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 08, 2015 3:22 pm

also remember those types will only raise so far up and seem to always drag/catch and get bent over a period of time.

Redneck's correct. Here's how I deal with the issue:

That's three pieces of black pipe, primed and painted. It still leaves about 3" of jack below the frame but I'm concious of it when pulling into a boondock hidey-hole to camp.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:26 am

Heres that exact part on a HF trailer. No welding, just bolted on. I've done this several times on my trailers over the years using 6 bolts, 2 through the top and 1 through the side (each side). True the angle isn't quite Perfect I compensate for this with Washers on the side bolts. And yes, you have to drill out for the bolts.

This is all done for about $40 (with Jack and A Frame Coupler) and really not even that much as you would have to buy a more expensive bolt on Jack if not done. Its going to affect your Ball Height a bit but this set up looks so much cleaner than the "Harbor Freight Knuckle" and a Jack bolted to the side.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby ukewarrior » Sat May 09, 2015 9:18 am

Len,

Is there a wheel you can temporarily attach to the leg if you want to roll your unit around?
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:34 am

ukewarrior wrote:Len,

Is there a wheel you can temporarily attach to the leg if you want to roll your unit around?

That wheel on the Green Trailer was something I had laying around that just happened to fit. You couldn't use it putting the trailer on the Ball of the truck because it wouldn't go down far enough. And it was a real PITA to get off as well.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby KennethW » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks guys I am going to use the HF coupler and jack with 4 1/2" redneck riser (3 pc of pipe)
I am going to push the coupler back a little to line up the existing hole in the coupler and the front bolt holes on the tongue.then drill the holes for the other 4 holes. So the new coupler will be using the same 6 bolts the old coupler bracket used.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets