NT frame parts

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

NT frame parts

Postby les45 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:39 am

Has anyone purchased individual C channel frame sections from Northern Tool. I'm looking at a custom frame size with a custom tongue so I'm checking to see if it might be cheaper to order the individual parts rather than purchase an entire trailer and modify it. I'll also be using an NT suspension/axle but with upgraded bearings, tires, and wheels.
les45
500 Club

Re: NT frame parts

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 26, 2015 12:15 pm

http://www.johnsonrollforming.com/display.php/display/A2/category/3

Here is some folks you could ask !

When I build my next one I will use a light gage square structural steel tubing.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby les45 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:24 pm

My original question may be moot. I talked to a NT sales rep today and she says they don't sell frame parts separately. Of course she also couldn't tell me which axle set went to the current 5X8 trailer even when I gave her the item number for the trailer. She just kept referring me to the catalog on their web site to find it myself. Looks like I may go the route suggested by bobhenry and buy the channel and make it myself.
les45
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 27, 2015 1:38 pm

I looked and looked for an old thread that showed using the frame at several points as a receiver for several accessories. It still intrigues me to make this frame and the dozens and dozens the neat accessories. Is there is anyone out there that remembers this thread, toss us a link.

Found it ! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=30925&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby les45 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 pm

When I bought my first 5X8 from NT several years ago, their customer service was first class. Today it seems to have really gone downhill. I found it hard to believe that you couldn't find parts for such a common trailer so I tried some NT stores in my local area (South Carolina). The first guy put me on hold (twice) while he tried to find a parts guy and the line finally went dead. I gave up on him. The second store referred me to a company called "Carry On Trailers" which is located in Livonia, Georgia and assured me that they would have the parts I needed. The parts guy at COT never heard of Northern Tool and said he certainly didn't sell their parts. I'm finding this kind of customer service (or lack thereof) at more and more places that used to be really good. I guess it's just a sign of the times.
les45
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets