Are mods necessary for HF 4x8 for a 5x8 build?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Are mods necessary for HF 4x8 for a 5x8 build?

Postby YetiConfetti » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi! I'm new to the forums and I've been researching how to build a teardrop camper for awhile now. At the moment I've been focusing my research on the different trailers and modifications, but I'm so confused as to what modifications are required based on the build I'm interested in! I'd love any help you could offer.

I'd like to build a 5x8 Generic Benroy on a 4x8 HF Super Duty Trailer (1720 lb) using a similar building method as bobhenry and others have used to build over the wheels. I'll be towing it with a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback with a custom hitch installed. I'm aiming for a max weight of around 1,000lb. I would like to put a tongue box on the front to carry no more than 100 lbs or so of water, camping chairs, etc. I'd also like to add a bike rack onto the back (or front?) of the trailer.

With these ideas in mind, (1) Do I need to extend the tongue? (2) Do I need to relocate the axle? (3) How do I measure these things? I found one post by angib about "how to pick your axle start angle", but does that directly relate to the location of the axle and the tongue? Beyond that, I've attempted exploring the stickies or posts for answers, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of posts, so I apologize if these questions are repeats! Welding isn't really an option for me (lack of experience and tools), so I'm afraid that if major modifications are needed my project idea is already overy.

I'm very much an amateur and I've never done a project like this before, so I'm a little worried that maybe I'm diving in way over my head... though I feel that once I get this trailer thing figured out it might be easier from here on out? :frightened:

Thank you!!

Yeti
YetiConfetti
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Are mods necessary for HF 4x8 for a 5x8 build?

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:49 am

Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

It is very easy to get overwhelmed with all of the different options and methods to pick from, but you are doing the right thing by trying to study and absorb all of the information that you can before making a major commitment.

Don't worry, tho, if you look (not too hard) you will find plenty of examples of people with your skill level and similar resources that have been able to build dandy little campers.

The best advice I can give someone in your situation is to keep looking. Read the Build Journals forum, the construction techniques forum, and take a look at the Foamie section, too (lots of weight conscious builds and simple building options there). Eventually you will find an example or two that suit you, and that are very well documented. Copying is the sincerest form of flattery around here and is highly recommended!

Another thing you might want to look into is Steve Fredrick's manual. As I understand it, he gives a pretty detailed step by step of his build method, and many people like that kind of approach. Also, his inside out method (where you get to do a lot more work on the bench and the sequence is much less like building a ship in the bottle) has been emulated by many (my self included). It saves time, your back, your knees; and IMO, makes it easier to do higher quality work (at all relative skill levels) just because you aren't putting yourself into so many awkward or poorly lit positions. The last thing you want to do is slap a box together and say, "look, I'm 90/ct done!", when you will only really be 10/ct done and have just made the last 90/ct 10x more difficult.

You are doing the right things and asking the right questions. You will get plenty of advice here, too, so good luck, and build on! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Are mods necessary for HF 4x8 for a 5x8 build?

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:14 am

I have the HF trailer and am building a 5x5x10. I way, way overbuilt mine. I did weld my frame after bolting it up, but that is not absolutely necessary. I also added in a center support/extension bar to the tongue, but once again, that isn't necessary. However, that does make it easier to tow and back up. With that said, I've been estimating the weight on mine as I've built it and figure that right now it weighs about 1,100#. I'll be taking it to the scales in a week or so to get a better number.

My floor system is the biggest overbuild I have. I could have made it much lighter and still maintained all the needed strength. While mine is a sort-of hybrid, if I ever build another, it'll be a foamy. Light, strong and less expensive.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets