Looking for an Independent Suspension

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Looking for an Independent Suspension

Postby FLFLYIN » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:42 am

I am in the early planning stages of my trailer, but since I plan to haul it on some rough trails behind my Jeep I am looking at using an Independent Trailing Link Suspension for both ride quality and ground clearance. I do camp in some very primitive conditions, so the ability to level the trailer using airbags is a definite benefit over the Timbren Axel-less suspension. Since I don't leave the pavement without an Air Compressor, I find that most of the Con's of this type of suspension are not really negatives for my use. (except $$)

Is anyone aware of a supplier of these type suspensions, especially in the Western US? I am aware of AT Overland, but they seem to cater to retrofits at their facility rather than a new chassis build. As widespread as these suspensions seem to be in Australia, it surprises me there aren't more available here in the US to cater to the off-road community. I appreciate any help I can get without bringing up the Leaf Spring vs other Suspension type debate. Thanks
FLFLYIN
Teardrop Builder

Re: Looking for an Independent Suspension

Postby jss06 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 am

I installed the timbre axle-less on my trailer a couple of months ago. It uses large rubber blocks to proved compression dampening and even has a rebound block to help suppress excessive movement. I purchased mine through e-trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Axles-pm-Timbren.aspx

The ride is much better than the leaf spring set up I had before. For leveling I just use rocks or try to park where the trailer is level side to side and use the tongue jack to level front to back.

All of the people I know who use trailing arms and airbags built their own. I was not able to find any "kits" for the DIY crowd.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets