Trailer with sides ok?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer with sides ok?

Postby DebBi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi, My husband and I are building our first teardrop and plan to use this kit : http://www.theteardroppers.com/product/ ... -wood-kit/ with this 5 x 8' trailer:

Is it ok to use this as is or do we need to remove the side rails? Thanks!
I thought you packed the toilet paper!
DebBi
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer with sides ok?

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Does the wood floor we see in the picture measure 60" wide out to out and 96" out to out front to back?

If so it should work as long as you have enough clearance for the side material thickness.

The "Look" might be another matter !

I utilized portions of the railing when I built the barn to help reinforce the corners. I actually built them into my walls.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby clock152 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:50 pm

just a thought but how high are the side rails? have you thought about building above the rails and closing that in to give you little extra storage space?
clock152
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:13 pm

You might not have enough clearance to open the doors, unless you build on top with a "basement" storage area, or remove the side rails.

Compare the height of the rails vs. the space between the bottom of the door openings and the bottom of the walls. Looks like a no-go to me, but the kit supplier may be able to give you an actual measurement and advise you as to what they recommend.

Perhaps it would be worth the $8 to purchase their builders guide before you decide what to do (you may be able to get this discounted off of the kit purchase price later, since they say the .pdf comes with the kit).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby DebBi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:20 pm

That's what we're planning to do but just wanted to hear from everyone with more experience. We're planning to make the top of the sides level with the floor and use the space underneath for storage and a water tank. The trailer is 5' x 8 ', but I think that's the outside dimensions. I'll have the measurement later for sure. Thanks!
I thought you packed the toilet paper!
DebBi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:52 am

DebBi wrote: I think that's the outside dimensions.

That is what I was afraid of...

I am betting the kit will be a pain in the butt unless you have 96' x60" clear to build on. It is really no big deal to remove the side rails except at the wheel wells.

They can be removed also if you are creative about new fenders. I left mine as shown above and made my walls just thick enough to hide the stubs I left as reinforcement.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets