Trailer frame question with aluminum body frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer frame question with aluminum body frame

Postby roamer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:42 pm

I have been lurking for awhile and am ready to build my own. Lots of great info here! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I am in the design stage of my build still.
My question is I have a bunch of left over aluminum tube from another project and thinking of using it to make my body framing.
It is 2 1/4 x 1 3/4, 1/8th wall 6463 T6. It should be strong enough for the body, but what about the frame?
I was thinking about using the timbren axle-less suspension. Could I make the body structure then add a steel A frame for the tongue to suspension support similar but stronger than the pico light design? Or can I double up the aIuminum to make it strong enough. I want to keep the weight down so I wanted to avoid doing a full steel frame.
The trailer will be a spin on a compact jr, squidget, off-road trailer.
Should be 5x9 ish
Thanks
Dave

If you think you can't, you won't
roamer
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Trailer frame question with aluminum body frame

Postby roamer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:53 am

After more research and usage considerations I decided to do a full steel frame with composite style tongue.
Not worried about the strength of the body, but the trailer will see a lot of off pavement use. The steel perimeter frame with rub rails will better protect the body. I will just have to save weight elsewhere.
Dave

If you think you can't, you won't
roamer
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets