bicycle trailer question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: bicycle trailer question

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:32 am

Ah, I see it now. How about extending the tongue stiffener up with a notch in the end of it to mechanically hold the bolted end of the coupler plug from rotating?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby felixx » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:40 am

Love the idea of the castor and air line coupling

This is an idea I will store in my mind as an inexpensive quick release mechanism

The trailer is cool too
felixx
Donating Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:19 pm

KCStudly wrote:Ah, I see it now. How about extending the tongue stiffener up with a notch in the end of it to mechanically hold the bolted end of the coupler plug from rotating?

that probably would have been a good idea to have when I was cutting that extra piece to length, :lol:

like I said, it doesn't take much force to cause that to loosen, so there cant be much weight on it from a torque perspective, so I imagine whatever I do will suffice.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:24 am

A section of steel pipe threaded into the coupler nipple would allow multiple fasteners through it. This would be safer.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:56 pm

rowerwet wrote:A section of steel pipe threaded into the coupler nipple would allow multiple fasteners through it. This would be safer.

oo, thats a good idea.

thanks
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:11 pm

As someone who uses air tools often for a living, the coupler hitch would scare me. I have hoses pop off all the time for no good reason.
I have hauled my kids in a little tykes trailer. Not only did it use a strong clamp, but it also has a safety strap that loops through the bike frame and clips back to the tongue.
Whatever hitch you use, please add a safety strap, don't launch a Los of gear or kids into traffic.
I really like this design http://m.instructables.com/id/Building- ... r-coupler/ however I would remove the caster wheel and put a lock pin through the axle holes. I install my galley hatch struts this way.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:46 am

ya, ive lost him a couple times, but im in a small town with 20mph speed limits, and im usually on the sidewalk anyway, and with him, i ride very leisurely at about 5 mph. so i leave him approximately 5 feet behind me before i notice and stop.

but ya a safety strap is on the list for sure. as is paint, and a nylon canopy.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets