Dexter axle with 2500 lb spring to stiff?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Dexter axle with 2500 lb spring to stiff?

Postby Dfryabq » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:44 pm

Ok, I am in the process of final planning a 5x10 benroy build. I found a guy who has a NT 5x8 trailer put together, and he has a Dexter 2200 lb 72" axle and 3 leaf 2500 lb springs for sale with the trailer aling with 14-15" hubs. He was going to build a teardrop but is now moving out of state and just wants to sell the setup. I think its ok, but do you think this may be to stiff? going to use either 3/4" ply for the sides or 1/2" with insulation, and probably aluminum skin and a 5,000 btu a/c since I'm in AZ, thoguhts? Thx, Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Dexter axle with 2500 lb spring to stiff?

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:00 pm

If you can get a good deal the cost of switching to softer springs shouldn't be a deal breaker, and depending on the spring pack you may still be able to pull a leaf out and soften things up.

On the axle, you may want to sharpen your pencil and figure out your wheel offsets, sidewall bulge, and adjust for any wall overhang you may be planning for. I thought I had this all worked out pretty well on my build (64 wide, 74-1/2 HF, 10.5 wide AT tires with 1.7 negative offset wheels) but ended up with a little more side clearance than I would have liked. This made it so that the widest readily available fenders would still have to be spaced out from the walls in order to cover the tires.

What I'm trying to say is, if you can check the details out a little better it would be nice to see that you are at least in the ballpark with no conflicts.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Dfryabq » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:36 pm

OK thx! I understand and I want to be sure its enough support but no too much. I had concern about bouncing the trailer around to much. I will definently look at the wheel spacing as you suggest and try and be sure its not to much! Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dalorin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:58 pm

I have a six thousand pounds setup. It may or may not be too stiff but that was the package that includes fourteen inch wheels. I really wanted those wheels.

When I'm completely done building I'll give it a try. If it's too stiff I'll have the springs altered. That's easier than trying to go to larger wheels.
Dalorin
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets