Northern Tool stainless bolts

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Northern Tool stainless bolts

Postby Gwannybear » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Hello,

Has anyone purchased the 5x8 Northern Tool trailer and replaced the supplied bolts and nuts with stainless? Is it necessary or overkill? Thanks!
Gwannybear
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Northern Tool stainless bolts

Postby MtnDon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:02 pm

I have the previous incarnation of the NT trailer kit, used for an ATV hauler. I didn't like the supplied bolts after I torque tested 4 of them. So I used some yellow zinc plated grade 8's I bought at the local fastener emporium. I torqued them with a wrench and retorqued after all was assembled. Then I applied green Loctite (the post assembly version).

FYI, S/S bolts are little better than a grade 2 as far as tensile strength goes. Little carbon in the S/S means no heat treating. They are rust resistant, but that is their only strong point. Plated grade 5 if good for a TD, or grade 8 if you believe in overkill.

The best money spent would be to buy a "clicker" torque wrench and use it according to the bolt specs, IMO.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Like Don said! Stainless is all looks, not much strength. Grade 5 is fine, 8 is best. Then paint them if you desire.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby CARS » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 pm

MtnDon wrote:
FYI, S/S bolts are little better than a grade 2 as far as tensile strength goes. Little carbon in the S/S means no heat treating. They are rust resistant, but that is their only strong point.

That isn't entirely true. Some industries (food for example) have to use S/S bolts. Some are advertised as stronger than grade 8.
http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/html/hi ... _bolts.htm
Now, whether or not you can find them in your area in a carriage bolt depends on the time you want to stick into the research.
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Be advised that 17-4PH SS will rust.

I plan to use regular 18-8 stainless bolts to hold my cabin to my trailer, bolts running up from the bottom into blind T-nuts embedded into the floor subframe. Enough bolts = enough strength, even with stainless. That being said, for critical chassis fasteners (suspension parts, hitch, etc.) grade 5 steel would be my minimum.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:11 pm

I just used the bolts that came with my heavy duty HF Trailer Kit. I did the tongue extension mod that seems to be popular here with the HF Trailer guys and used all grade 5 hardware in that job. I'm just wondering now, has anyone here actually experienced a "fastener failure" while operating a trailer built from one of the kit suppliers? It wouldn't be much fun, but, it would be possible to retrofit high grade hardware if there is a serious danger factor. Unless people are having some real world problems, I don't plan to worry about it.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets