Trailers are EXPENSIVE up here...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailers are EXPENSIVE up here...

Postby Boreal » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:44 pm

... in Canada.

Hey folks, I'm new. I'll say hi in the proper forum, but this is pressing. I'm in Calgary, where trailers are fricken expensive.

For example, a 5x8 with 2500 lb axles, 15" wheels, and six inches of extensions on both sides (nothing else - no decking, lights, VIN) will set me back 1800 CAD, which is about 1350 in USD. I can also get something similar out of Ontario, cheaper (weird!) but then there's 900 delivery charge (fully assembled on a flatbed, from Ontario to Alberta). The few other traielr manufacturers here about are quoting more than 2000 CAD.

Now, I know I don't need those heavy duty axles (but they can't hurt, can they?), but those 15" wheels are nice. Also, this is strong construction, with 2" tube welded. But we're not talking no 500 USD Harbor Freight here.

I *could* get the HF shipped here for another 280 USD, for an all in of 780 USD or about 1100 CAD. I'd still have to pay for the mods to be welded in, perhaps another few hundred dollars. But for the difference in price, 400 or 500, I figure I might as well juts get the new trailer from local.

Still, it hurts the sensibilities when I see some of you getting that HF for $500 minus a coupon. I might add the the 1700 bucks is in the budget, and doesn't hurt too much.

So not a question as such, just an attempt to share my misery around bit. If there *is* a question in there, I imagine it's along the lines of "reassure me that 3500 axles with 15" wheels for a 5x8 Woody" is not stupid overkill.

As an aside, I hope to be posting a build thread as soon as I get started. My special design consideration is that I want to build a three sleeper, so I need a bunk cross-ways for our daughter. I've seen only one plan for that, and so I'm modifying that one (which has nice lines, I have to say). http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear47.htm
Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Re: Trailers are EXPENSIVE up here...

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Boreal wrote:If there *is* a question in there, I imagine it's along the lines of "reassure me that 3500 axles with 15" wheels for a 5x8 Woody" is not stupid overkill.

Actually, I was going to go the other way. your 3500# axles may well be overkill, but not "stupid" overkill. If you look just a few topics down, you'll see where I recently de-rated my 3500 Timbrens to 2000#. The ride was so stiff before, that things would get scattered all over the galley. While driving on pavement. With 15" wheels. :fb

Make your best effort to estmate your trailer weight and don't over do the suspension.

I do think the 15 inchers are a good choice. You can get the Timbren suspension in 2000# with 15 inch wheels and 10 " drums. AND! they are made in Canada. Just be sure you're sitting down when you look up the price. :frightened:

Welcome to the forum and prepare to have fun with your build!

:beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: Trailers are EXPENSIVE up here...

Postby Talia62 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 am

Boreal wrote:Still, it hurts the sensibilities when I see some of you getting that HF for $500 minus a coupon. I might add the the 1700 bucks is in the budget, and doesn't hurt too much.

Harbor Freight coupons specifically exclude trailers on them.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets