grease seal deal

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

grease seal deal

Postby les45 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:07 pm

I decided to repack the bearings on my new Dexter Torflex axle because it just didn't come with enough grease to my satisfaction. Maybe overkill but that's just me. Anyway, I needed new grease seals and found a very good deal on etrailer.com. They currently have seals for the 2,000 lb Dexter axle (1.5" ID) for $2.50 each. I ordered six and shipping was only $2.99 total. I priced similar seals at all the usual online places and they ranged from $7.00 to $15.00 each. When I received the seals today, they had the Dexter name engraved on the metal casings and they are the double lip type. Etrailer.com ships fast and I received my order in three days. I have ordered tires and other trailer parts from them in the past and they always have good prices and fast shipping.
les45
500 Club

Re: grease seal deal

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:01 pm

You can over grease :worship:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: grease seal deal

Postby les45 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:03 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:You can over grease :worship:

I'm not one who has to fill the entire void of the hub and out over the castle nut with grease. What I saw from the factory concerned me although I'm sure they have researched what they do and it would probably be fine. They only applied grease to the roller bearings and the mating surfaces of the race. You could see bare metal on the ends of the rollers and the edges of the races. All I did when I repacked was to add grease on both sides of the races and on the outer edges of the bearings between the inner and outer rings. I've been repacking trailer bearings like this for 50 years now and have never had a problem.
les45
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets