New build and need advice

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

New build and need advice

Postby Specktre » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello everybody,

I started my build couple weeks ago and now I'm ready to build my trailer.

I have two option and I really dont know with one to chose.

1- Off-Road capable trailer with timbren 2000HD + electric break (around 900$)
2- Lightweight trailer with timbren 2000lb without break (around 450$)

My teardrop should be around 1000 pounds.

I plan to go off-road sometimes but nothing like rock crawling. I prefer do camping by myself out in the bush.

So there is my question. I dont want to regret my move and have to change my trailer later.

Is a normal axle timbren 2000 pounds is strong enough to go off-road time to time or I should go directly with a stronger trailer?

Thanks
Specktre
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New build and need advice

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Why Timbren? Why not leaf springs or a torsion axle?

For a light weight trailer that will mostly stay on road, why go to the extra expense?

I like the idea of brakes, especially if you are towing with a relatively small tow rig.
Last edited by KCStudly on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 pm

I agree.
The added benifit of leaves is there isnt much to go wrong and if by chance something does its far easier to do a "bush repair" on

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Specktre » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks guy,

The main reason for Timbren is I'm from Alberta (Canada) and I checked for torsion axle (flexiride, standens, posiflex) and they are almost the same price. Cheaper one is 808$ with brake.

I did not check leaf spring because I'm afraid it will bounce if I'm going to do some washboard road.

My tow rig for now is a Subaru Outback, later I'll probably get a F-150. Brake is probably useless but can be good for resale if I want to do another one later.

I'll read about trailer with leaf tomorrow.
Specktre
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:05 pm

Ive put shocks on my leaf ser up to eliminate bounce.
Im sure there will still be some but minimal

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby haha49 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Alberta has some rough roads match the trailers height with the tow car. So bigger tires so it rides at hitch level when you go into a dip you bash the hitch and the back of the trailer so clearance and using a hitch lift is 2hat you want. Towing a boat I bought a hitch lift that is adjustable so I can make the trailer level when towing steep driveway made a huge difference wouldn't drag at the bottom. Pot holes washed out roads you want something the same height then use a lift hitch if it squats down. Need more info to pick what will you tow it with?

Brakes sucks on a trailer pain when backing up. Required if you go over half the towing capacity. So for an out back light weight better gas mileage is worth while. Jump yo fq50 you pay more at the pumps and want a higher trailer outback should do all you need except rock crawling. F150 can do more and it keeps it's wheels on the ground since it's a solid axel I would build for the subaru height the f150 hitch you can get a lowering bar and adjust it.
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 am

haha49 wrote:Brakes sucks on a trailer pain when backing up.

I assume your comment above is directed toward surge brakes. With electric brakes, there is no difference backing or moving forward.

What ever axle setup you go with, if you don't get brakes - I would if towing with the Outback or any other small car - I'd recommend getting the axle with the backing plate so that brakes can be added in the future.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Specktre » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:39 am

Trailer is almost done, with the small $$ difference I went with Timbren 2000 HD with brake.

So, if I want to load a lot of stuff or if I'm going downhill off road I'll be safe. It will give me close to 18" ground clearance, high enough for me.

Thanks everybody
Specktre
Teardrop Inspector

Postby haha49 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Specktre wrote:Trailer is almost done, with the small $$ difference I went with Timbren 2000 HD with brake.

So, if I want to load a lot of stuff or if I'm going downhill off road I'll be safe. It will give me close to 18" ground clearance, high enough for me.

Thanks everybody

Well with brakes and hills if you take the boat off the trailer the trailer bounces forwards and backwards going down a hill you have to stop wait for the trailer to settle then start again or it just bounces you around like a washboard. Brakes are also a pain in the rear for backing up make sure you know how to disable them and that you wire in the reverse lights into the wiring harness so it can disable the brakes when you back up. Nothing like getting stuck on a narrow road and can't back up.
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets