trailer speed limits?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

trailer speed limits?

Postby woodbender » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:49 am

Newb question and I apologize if it has been covered before. I did a search but must not have had the right key words.

The northern tools trailer lists the max speed of 45 mph. is that legitimate or are they just covering themselves? i can't imagine driving anywhere at 45 mph.... Does putting larger wheels/tires help? Or does everyone just ignore the recommended speed limit of the trailer?

Thanks - Mike
woodbender
Teardrop Inspector

Re: trailer speed limits?

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:43 pm

For my trailer we TRY to go the posted speed limit when towing. Example: if it says 55 for vehicles towing and the posted speed is 60/65, we keep it between 55-60 as let the others zoom by. When driving on the busy I-5 corridor I have to say we try to go about 60 mph or risk being run over or rear ended by big rigs. It can be scary at times driving in congested areas because many people don't realize you have a small trailer behind your rig as it is often "unseen" by others. We have known of teardroppers who have been pulled over and cited for exceeding the posted speed limit when towing in California. Now, about the particular trailer you mentioned.....I would say that speed is what the manufacturer feels is the limit they can safely recommend or in other words....CYA! :R
Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby DrewsBrews » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:21 pm

Keep in mind it is a trailer kit designed for the buyer to install whatever they want on it and load it however they want (no matter how poor the execution). Even if the trailer is loaded completely wrong it probably won't become dangerously unstable at 45mph...though maybe close

Many folks pull these trailers long distances at highway speeds, including the elevated speeds out west. Though they likely have appropriate amount of tongue weight and length for good stability. YMMV

Just be careful when you are learning to tow. Increase the speed slowly and make note of what you feel the vehicle and trailer doing. If the trailer is doing something you don't like then don't make any sudden turns and back the speed down slowly until it settles down.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:38 pm

Our tear with Dexter axles and passenger car tires travels at 70 mph. Limitations with HF NT may well be tires and bearings, speculating.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:56 pm

Over 10,000 miles on a HF trailer(foamie TD) most at freeway speeds. Some at 80 plus. No problems. The main thing is a properly packed and tighten(1/8 turn loose) and not to overload.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets