Anyone seen the Microlite Twist frame up close?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Anyone seen the Microlite Twist frame up close?

Postby markyodo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:43 am

Has anyone seen the Micro-Lite Twist TR7 up close and could provide more details on this frame?
The Micro-Lite Twist TR7 advertises a dry weight of just over 400lbs. When viewing photos posted online it would appear they are using an unconventional frame design. It doesn't look like a box or a triangle design which could save a lot of weight.
Thanks.

markyodo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Anyone seen the Microlite Twist frame up close?

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:18 am

I haven't seen their frame; but, in looking at the website, I find that the specifications list for the Microlite Twist TR7 seems to have a few questionable spots.

Specifications

Length Overall: 132" (335.3cm)
Width Overall: 72" (182.9cm)
Height Overall: 65" (165.1cm)
Interior Length: 82" (208.3cm)
Interior Width: 45.5" (115.6cm)
Interior Height: 45.5" (115.6cm)
Dry Weight: 405lbs (183.71kg)
Dry Tongue Weight: 54lbs (24.50kg)
GVWR: 990lbs (449.1kg)

Assuming that they are adding the tongue length in to the length of the cabin to get the Overall Length, that one makes sense; but, the Gross Vehicular Weight (GVWR) seems way off. Although it may be a simple publishing error, if you decide to look at this one further, I would question them on this. It may be that they are giving the cabin weight (Dry Weight) separately from the weight of the chassis and cabin, together (GVWR). It's worth asking.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby brx017 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:32 am

Is it possible it doesn't have a frame? Could be the tongue and torsion axle are bolted to a solid plywood floor.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby Rarin2go » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:54 pm

We owned one, and indeed they are that weight. It is all aluminum. Just a little to small for our needs.
A great trailer to pull even with a motorcycle. The frame is a full normal frame.
Living today and planning for tomorrow.
TnT in Tennessee.
Rarin2go
Teardrop Master

Postby markyodo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Rarin2go wrote:We owned one, and indeed they are that weight. It is all aluminum. Just a little to small for our needs.
A great trailer to pull even with a motorcycle. The frame is a full normal frame.

Mystery solved. Thanks for the info. By the pictures I thought they were using metal plate attached to the tongue with a 2" bar down the center. They did a good job of hiding the frame under the trailer.
Can you comment on the build quality of the trailer? Were the walls / floors thinner than a traditional build?
markyodo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rarin2go » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Floor is also aluminum. The walls are traditional, but with alumunum studs, insulation, inside panel wall, and
outside painted aluminum. Great construction. One problem is condensation that sometimes developes on
all areas of studs and ceiling.
Living today and planning for tomorrow.
TnT in Tennessee.
Rarin2go
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets