6'8x8 wide trailer on 5x8 NT aluminium trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

6'8x8 wide trailer on 5x8 NT aluminium trailer?

Postby CynJ » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:40 am

So my design is sketched out and I want to build a trailer that is 6'8"x 8' on a Northern Tool 5'x8' aluminum trailer. This accommodates a twin mattress lying across the width of the trailer. it's similar to a gypsy caravan layout. My entrance will be in the rear, with the kitchen counter along one side and the dinette along the other.

It's a twenty inch difference so ten inches on each side. There isn't going to be a lot of weight along those edges. If the floor box is built well will this work? Should I do some sort of buttressing along the overhang? Or am I better off having the husband build me a custom trailer from scratch?
~CynJ
CynJ
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 6'8x8 wide trailer on 5x8 NT aluminium trailer?

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:05 pm

You'll be fine.

Don't think of it as the trailer holding the floor and side walls up. Think of it as the trailer holding the front and rear walls up, then those holding the side walls up; then the side walls as large beams that hold the floor up all along the bottom edge.

Build all of your joints nice and tight, use sound corner joint design (do not just screw into the edge grain of plywood, use pocket screws, a corner cleat, or any of the many good solid joint designs shown in the construction technique forum stickies), glue and screw them and you will have a nice sturdy structure.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: 6'8x8 wide trailer on 5x8 NT aluminium trailer?

Postby CynJ » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks, KC! That's what I was thinking. As long as everything is really well constructed it shouldn't be a problem.
~CynJ
CynJ
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets