snowmobile trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

snowmobile trailer?

Postby smit0577 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 am

In my area, there are often snowmobile trailers available on craigslist. They usually have a good-sized deck and are aluminum. I tried to find how much they weigh, and it looked like 500 lbs or less?!?!?

http://www.quinnsmarina.com/new_vehicle ... p?veh=7413

Anyone have experience with snowmobile trailers? I'm thinking of something a little off-beat: a foamie hybrid canned ham that will mostly be parked in my remote recreation property. Having a light base would make it easy to pull from my shop to the site.

Thoughts? Thanks
smit0577
Teardrop Builder

Re: snowmobile trailer?

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 am

The ones I have seen appear to be unusually wide and relatively short lengthwise in the deck, so maybe not the best for aero or rearward visibility if built up into a camper. Also, what do two snow machines weigh? If the axle and OEM springs are set up with a load rating much greater than your planned finished weight it could be a little stiff and bouncy going over the road (may not be a problem depending on original trailer load rating).

But for a tiny house that won't get moved around much, these probably aren't big enough concerns to worry to much about. I'm just mentioning the things that come to mind since you asked. If the mood strikes you and you get a good deal, why not?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: snowmobile trailer?

Postby smit0577 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 am

Yeah, local building codes are what they are, so building a hunting shack has problems, but "parking" a camper indefinitely is totally legit. I've been looking on Craigslist for cool retro campers to move there and park, but they all look so old and moldy and would require a total redo. I thought I could give this a whirl.... Basically a totally custom and compliant bunkhouse, you know?

Thanks for the repy!
smit0577
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets