HF Inner Bearing Seal

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF Inner Bearing Seal

Postby mahai217 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Which ring do I tap/press to ease the grease seal out?

-outer
-middle
-inner

Thanks,

JohnImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by mahai217 on Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahai217
Teardrop Inspector

Re: HF Inner Bearing Seal

Postby egjacks » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 am

I don't have that trailer, but if I am looking at it correctly, I believe that all of those rings are part of the seal. I would tap as close to the outside as possible. Seals can theoretically be reused but they are often damaged when taken out, so many people, myself included, tend to plan on replacing them. I buy new seals along with bearings before I start taking things apart. Sometimes seals are damaged so slightly that the damage is not obvious, so it is better to be safe than sorry. Since they are usually cheap I think it is better to not worry about getting them out undamaged. Also, by having the new pieces on hand, you can see exactly the shape and size of the one you are trying to replace, this helps when everything is covered in grease.
good luck! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

edit: on closer looking, I think that is the inside bearing that you can see. although same thing applies, just gently tap it on the outside, moving around the circumference of the bearing. Sometimes a large socket or other round solid thing can be used to evenly distribute the impact. The bearing will push the seal out.
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby egjacks » Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 am

Here is a link that shows a guy tapping out the back seal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbVSD6YCFE
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 24, 2017 6:15 am

Another trick is to put the hub back on the axle stub, leave out the outer bearing, put the nut and washer back on and give the hub a gentle tug against the washer. This will pull the seal out cleanly with less chance of damaging the bearing.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:21 am

IMHO, trying to save a seal is futile UNLESS you are on the side of the road in an emergency situation

the $$($3-$5 depending on the capacity of the axle) of a seal isn't worth chancing a failure in the NEAR future

i always replace seals EVERY TIME i have to remove bearings for service

just sayin'

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:32 am

Mahal217, here is a chart of what you are dealing with

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby les45 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 am

swoody126 wrote:IMHO, trying to save a seal is futile UNLESS you are on the side of the road in an emergency situation

the $$($3-$5 depending on the capacity of the axle) of a seal isn't worth chancing a failure in the NEAR future

i always replace seals EVERY TIME i have to remove bearings for service

just sayin'

sw

I agree. I just pry the seal out with a screwdriver, discard it, and install a new seal each time.
les45
500 Club

Postby mahai217 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 am

I'm still amazed at how quick one can get valuable information on this forum. Thanks for your quick and detailed advice.

I called HF and they are sending out new seals -- I needed my receipt, store number, date, etc.

Now I can safely practice taking the others out and not worry if they get damaged. My goal was to have my trailer built and registered by the end of this week -- only a small setback I guess.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering... I did search through pages of information on the forum. I found a lot of great information -- just not a clear, understanding of which 'ring' to pound on -- I mean gently tap on.

Thanks again!

John
mahai217
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pinstriper » Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 am

swoody126 wrote:Mahal217, here is a chart of what you are dealing with

sw

I'm still a bit of a novice at hubs, but cups are the same as races, right ? And you don't need to remove them to examine, and if they are ok (no scoring or damage) you just leave them in place, correct ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby elcam84 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes thats the bearing race. When replacing bearings you always replace the bearing race. Knock it out with a punch. Any wear you can't even see will cause premature failure of the new bearing.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Preferably you would use an aluminum mandrel that just fits thru the clearance hole behind the outer bearing race ("cup") so that your taps are spread evenly around the exposed edge of the race and you drive it uniformly. Short of that a brass or aluminum punch gently tapping all around a little at a time. No steel punches, please. :worship:

Same thing going back in with the new race/cup. Us a mandrel. If an arbor press is available, so much the better! No hammering is best.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:36 pm

KCStudly wrote:Preferably you would use an aluminum mandrel that just fits thru the clearance hole behind the outer bearing race ("cup") so that your taps are spread evenly around the exposed edge of the race and you drive it uniformly. Short of that a brass or aluminum punch gently tapping all around a little at a time. No steel punches, please. :worship:

Same thing going back in with the new race/cup. Us a mandrel. If an arbor press is available, so much the better! No hammering is best.

Knocking out the old race doesnt matter just whack it out but dont scrape the bore of the hub.

Harbor freight used to have a decent and cheap bearing race driver set.

I used to sell a big brake kit for GM G body cars and replaced bunches of races on new rotors. I ended up making my own race drivers out of chunks of aluminum course that was when i had access to a lathe.

If you have one thats really stubborn you can freeze the race with liquid nitrogen or dry ice. However if you are using a press it can get a little dangerous as the race is very susceptible to shattering. Chrysler used some junk bearings in their spindles and they were a pain to replace and had to be replaced often as in they would fail within a few thousand miles on a new car...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets