Which Dexter Torsion axle weight?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Which Dexter Torsion axle weight?

Postby tobyd » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Folks,

We're having a teardrop built for us, and the company building it has used both the 2,200 lb (#9 axle) and 3,500 lb (#10 axle) Torflex axles. They're recently decided to switch exclusively to the 3,500 lb axle for all campers. They say this based on having done some research, and that the 3,500 lb unit is fine even for smaller trailers. Our camper / trailer will have a dry weight of around 900 lbs. My fear is that the heavier axle will be over-sprung and transmit too much vibration into the camper.

Does anyone have some experience here?

Thanks,
Toby.
tobyd
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Which Dexter Torsion axle weight?

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 pm

tobyd wrote:Hi Folks,

We're having a teardrop built for us, and the company building it has used both the 2,200 lb (#9 axle) and 3,500 lb (#10 axle) Torflex axles. They're recently decided to switch exclusively to the 3,500 lb axle for all campers. They say this based on having done some research, and that the 3,500 lb unit is fine even for smaller trailers. Our camper / trailer will have a dry weight of around 900 lbs. My fear is that the heavier axle will be over-sprung and transmit too much vibration into the camper.

Does anyone have some experience here?

Thanks,
Toby.

When you order an axle from Dexter, they ask what the gross trailer weight is going to be. Each of the Torflex's are then built for the individual trailer. (and they do ride great)

I think that 3,500 lb axle might bounce like an empty dump truck but I don't have experience over-axling with the Torflex. There's a reason Dexter builds each for a specific weight. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 pm

I'd second what Tony says.... They have the designations for a reason. A 3500lb axle on a 900lb teardrop will work, but is heavier and probably more expensive. I ordered a #9 Torflex for my camper and had them de-rate it from 2200lb capacity to 1800lbs. Tows like a dream.

My speculation is that the rating is based on a specific length of the rubber "bushing" that surrounds the rotational part of the swingarm, inside the fixed axle tube. Longer rubber bushing = more force required to rotate the swingarm. Shorter rubber bushing = less force.

I would imagine that in order to de-rate a 3500lb axle to suit a 900lb teardrop, the length of the rubber bushing inside the axle would be reduced by quite a bit. Reducing a bushing from 2200lb capacity to 900lb capacity would leave much more rubber, which I would assume will be better in the long term.

I'd rather have the small, more appropriately sized #9 axle, where only a limited amount of that rubber needed to be removed.

As I said, this is my speculation, so take it for what it is.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby tobyd » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks for the comments.

"My speculation is that the rating is based on a specific length of the rubber "bushing" that surrounds the rotational part of the swingarm, inside the fixed axle tube. Longer rubber bushing = more force required to rotate the swingarm. Shorter rubber bushing = less force."

Yep, I called Dexter and that's exactly how they do it. They suggested that there might be advantages using the heavier (#10) axle for off-roading as it'll be better at taking side loads when towing through rough stuff. They said it would be easy to de-rate it to the 2,200 -2,500 lb range simply by shortening the rubber inside. They do it all the time.

Thanks,
Toby.
tobyd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:33 am

tobyd wrote:Thanks for the comments.

"My speculation is that the rating is based on a specific length of the rubber "bushing" that surrounds the rotational part of the swingarm, inside the fixed axle tube. Longer rubber bushing = more force required to rotate the swingarm. Shorter rubber bushing = less force."

Yep, I called Dexter and that's exactly how they do it. They suggested that there might be advantages using the heavier (#10) axle for off-roading as it'll be better at taking side loads when towing through rough stuff. They said it would be easy to de-rate it to the 2,200 -2,500 lb range simply by shortening the rubber inside. They do it all the time.

Thanks,
Toby.
But, will the builder of your custom trailer actually order the #10 torsion axle with the de-rated rubber springs, if you specify a rating? Or will they say that the 3500 lb rated axle is what you get, take it or leave it? There have been some reports, on this forum, of custom builders doing it their way, and ignoring hardware changes specified by customers. Make sure, by getting the axle specs on paper, or at least on the sticker Dexter Axles puts on their custom axles (my 3500 lb leaf-spring axle had one, so I assume they affix a sticker to all their customer-spec'd axles).
118944 ordered thru a local dealer, shipped from Dexter with sticker attached (I was waiting there when received)
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets