Welding cross joints for a standy

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Welding cross joints for a standy

Postby Joeb » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:43 pm

I want to weld a trailer frame together using 2x3x1/16 steel for the main frame and use 1x2 angle steel for cross members but have them go beyond the frame to be able to have the tire inside the body like vintage trailers do.

Here is a image of what I am thinking...

scan0020.pdf
(251.02 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

Is this a strong joint?

I could also notch the 2x3 tube lower so the angle steel is flush on the top of the 2x3 tube via a short notch to accept the L part of the angle so all of the trailer top is flush.
Joeb
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Welding cross joints for a standy

Postby MtnDon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:22 pm

A member like the 2x3 main frame rails derive the bulk of their strength from the 2" upper and lower surfaces. The 3" vertical surfaces more or less serve to separate and connect the upper and lower horizontal surfaces. When you cut a notch into the upper surface you greatly weaken it. Of course welding it back together with the angle in there should restore the strength if the weld is top notch.

Angle steel is much weaker than a square or rectangular tube. Much weaker. It can be bent easier and it can also twist. IMO angle stock makes decent bed frames but it not good frame material. The frame would be stronger with no cuts or notches in the main tubes with a much better choice for the crossmembers being square or rectangular tubing, cut to fit and then fully welded in place.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Welding cross joints for a standy

Postby Dale M. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:40 am

Agree with Don that rectangular tubing is much stronger than angle iron for the weight...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets