Torsion Suspension On Light Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Torsion Suspension On Light Trailer

Postby koolkingkev » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm thinking of a light trailer for tow with a small car. The selection of torsion axles jumps fast. I was thinking of electric breaks and most of the axles with electric breaks are 2500+. If a suspension for a heavier load is used on a light trailer will there be problems like sway and bounce? or?
koolkingkev
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Torsion Suspension On Light Trailer

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 pm

koolkingkev wrote:I'm thinking of a light trailer for tow with a small car. The selection of torsion axles jumps fast. I was thinking of electric breaks and most of the axles with electric breaks are 2500+. If a suspension for a heavier load is used on a light trailer will there be problems like sway and bounce? or?

If you order a Torflex torsion axle from Dexter, they'll ask you how much your trailer is going to weigh. It'll be custom built.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Zomby Woof » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Zomby Woof
Teardrop Builder

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm a Timbren man myself.

You can shop online or contact the company directly. You can get spindles capable of accepting electric brakes on pretty much any Timbren Axle-Less suspension, which range from 400 to 1200 to 2000 to 3500 pounds capacity and up.

Be prepared to pony up, though. They're designed for light- to extremely heavy-duty off-road campers.

TorFlex is good to, though. But all of them are made-to-order.

The cheapest solution is probably to get a regular 2,200 axle, specify the correct hubs for brakes, and then order separate leaf springs rated for whatever you need. Nothing wrong with that. It can be difficult to know which components to order, though, so if it's your first time, talk to a sales rep at a trailer parts dealer.

And yes, you'll have problems using too big of springs. In extreme cases, it'll be like you don't have any suspension at all!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby jimbo69ny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Its cool that someone brought up Timbren. I have been looking at them a lot. I am going to go with these. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/Timbren/A35RD545E.html

Not cheap but it seems like the best.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:58 pm

dont use springs (or in this case torsion axles) that are specced for much more than what the final weight is going to be. Makes having suspension totally pointless because the load isnt enough to make the suspension move, thus trail ends up pulling as if totally rigid. Combine that with most people do not set their tire pressure based on load and instead just max them out all the time, you'll rattle and bounce anything not well bolted down loose from the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets