I need a chimney!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

I need a chimney!

Postby Richrad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:31 am

I found a “camp water heater” (one of those tankless jobs you hang on a fence) that has a 3 1/2” round exhaust above the burner. My problem is how to make a chimney for it. All RV gas appliances vent directly out the side, and residential (house) vents are too lightweight. If necessary, I can pull a cap off the top before every shower. Chimney needs to go through trailer body which is 1/4” thick plywood. Thanks for any ideas and material sources! PS: I have CO/Propane/smoke detectors and a current will.
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Re: I need a chimney!

Postby Richrad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:33 am

In case I wasn’t clear, I’m mounting this inside the trailer.
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Postby Richrad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:56 am

A pic of my water heater
image.jpg
Camplux wall mount
image.jpg (854.45 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Postby Richrad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Sorry. Need to reread the posting pic tutorial :frightened:
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Not sure about your image. It looks like the heater is on its side. I believe that most of these heaters must be mounted upright.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Not sure about your image. It looks like the heater is on its side. I believe that most of these heaters must be mounted upright.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:23 pm

You can get B-vent in 4” it is a double wall flue pipe for gas appliances. But it still needs 1” clearance all around for code, doubt you need to worry about heat with a small heater and the short run times unles you plan hour long showers. But how do you cap it with out rain coming in when driving? And putting a cap over it is never a good idea.

You should really look to mount it outside. Have quick connection for cold in and hot out and propane. Put a mounting bracket on the side of the camper to hange the heater on.

Or what a lot of the off-roaders and what I will do is mount a pelican style case on the outside of on the wall and the heater gets mounted to the lid of the case with some spacers. When you use the heater the lid of the case is opened and the gases escape out the top.

Here I a link to SoCal Toms water heater. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=69862&p=1222749#p1222749

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby chuckularone » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Could you put a 90 degree on top and put it out the side with a traditional trailer vent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chuckularone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby M C Toyer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 am

Richrad wrote:I found a “camp water heater” (one of those tankless jobs you hang on a fence) that has a 3 1/2” round exhaust above the burner. My problem is how to make a chimney for it. All RV gas appliances vent directly out the side, and residential (house) vents are too lightweight. If necessary, I can pull a cap off the top before every shower. Chimney needs to go through trailer body which is 1/4” thick plywood. Thanks for any ideas and material sources! PS: I have CO/Propane/smoke detectors and a current will.

I mounted my Eccotemp L5 inside, spaced off the wall 3 inches and a metal shield behind. For the vent I used a 90 degree torpedo boot and fabricated a triple wall flue through the outside wall with a louvered cover.

The boot was a standard size and covered the entire top of the unit to preclude any leakage through the housing. It only took a little crimping for a snug fit, pop riveted then sealed with high temp tape.

M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Richrad » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks MC! that sounds like some impressive craftsmanship. Any chance you have other pics?
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:32 am

Let's see if this works. The images are on Photobucket which no longer allows third party linking so will try to link to just the images on FB.

The "through the wall" flue is a combination of a standard 4" double wall section inside a straight 5" flanged section to match the outlet of the torpedo boot, and a 4 x 5 reducer. The last pic is the outside before I installed the insulation and siding. Works fine for me.

The Eccotemp is in the under-sink cabinet and on the back wall of my shower. Water pump and fresh water tanks are also under the sink. The propane is on the opposite side of the trailer in another cabinet which is sealed on the inside and vented through the floor.

M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Richrad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Very nice workmanship! You've convinced me to use the double wall residential stuff, although mine will be vertical. I may visit my local sheet metal shop for a little help too.
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Postby Richrad » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 pm

Finally found a good sheet metal shop. For $40 they custom made an adapter to fit standard B-vent to my appliance, and cut/reinforced the B-vent to custom length.
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets