Lite frame for small trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Lite frame for small trailer

Postby loaderman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:41 am

I am designing a 3.5 by 7 foot trailer. This would serve as a base for a tent top. The walls would be about 14 to 16 inch. The idea is to build the box with hinged flaps for a lid then when opened up put a tent on top.
I am doing this to have a roomy 9 by 7 area, decent beds on both sides, ability to stand in the center and it would be lite. Also easy to tow as it would only have a very small frontal area.
Weight is a huge concern. With all the gear for 2 people I would like it to weigh about 600lbs. The trailer including the box at 300lbs or less.
Any advice on the frame design would be appreciated.

I was thinking of using angle iron and making it shaped like a boat trailer. I would put a piece across the back then about 2 or 2.5foot from the back. The sides would angle in at about 4 to 4.5 feet from the back to form the a at the front, no one would be standing within 2 feet or so from the front of the box.
The 1/4 inch plywood sides would would.be glued and bolted to this angle iron frame which would add strength. The 1/2 inch plywood floor would be glued and screwed or bolted on.

What size of angle iron should I use? A 250lb person will be standing on the floor.
Tanks for any help you can give.
Last edited by loaderman on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Re: Lite frame for small trailer

Postby greygoos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:50 am

Follow this link to the Design Library. http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/The%20U ... hassis.htm
Attachments
chassis-superlight-4ft-bolted-1.jpg
chassis-superlight-4ft-bolted-1.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Re: Lite frame for small trailer

Postby loaderman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:00 am

greygoos wrote:Follow this link to the Design Library. http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/The%20U ... hassis.htm

I did look at that. It is designed for a small teardrop where there is no load from people standing. My boat trailer shape is an adaptation from the lite frame shown.
I think that just the box of the trailer with someone standing at the back center with no support under it may break of flex too much.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets