Okay to chop this out? (1979 Starcraft Frame Cable Guard)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Okay to chop this out? (1979 Starcraft Frame Cable Guard)

Postby JazzVinyl » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:22 pm

I have cleaned off an old 1979 'Venture" (Starcraft) Popup camper - want to build a canned ham style standy on the frame.

The frame has this, in the center on the the front, and I believe it is not structurally important. I think it is there to protect the cables that operated the lift. When I stand on this section, it appears to not be welded, on the tongue end, just sits within the 4 inch C rails.

Think it would be okay to chop this out, so I could install a drop floor?

Cheers!
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Re: Okay to chop this out? (1979 Starcraft Frame Cable Guard

Postby GTS225 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:04 am

But it is welded to that second cross member? It appears to pass through that front rail, and is captured, if not welded, in the tpongue A framing. This alone will add some structural strength to the overall forward framing design.
If you're not looking to drop that entire area, I would suggest adding a forward cross member, and weld the "guard" box to it. That way, you'll still have the additional bracing between the tongue and a framing member. I would also suggest boxing the frame rails around the opening, just for peace of mind, if nothing else.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby JazzVinyl » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:29 am

GTS225 wrote:But it is welded to that second cross member? It appears to pass through that front rail, and is captured, if not welded, in the tongue A framing. This alone will add some structural strength to the overall forward framing design.
If you're not looking to drop that entire area, I would suggest adding a forward cross member, and weld the "guard" box to it. That way, you'll still have the additional bracing between the tongue and a framing member. I would also suggest boxing the frame rails around the opening, just for peace of mind, if nothing else.

Roger

Hello Roger....
It does not pass through the tongue A framing. Stops at that forward rail (is not welded there) and starts again on the other side (where it is welded). The cabling, passed through holes in that forward rail.

It is just barely welded, at the cross member at the rear "tack welded"?
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby JazzVinyl » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:31 pm

Looks like a new problem...

The width of the frame is off at the hitch end by 1/4 inch.

I wanted to build to the edge of the frame.

The Popup that was on it, hung over by about 2.5 inches beyond the edges of the frame, so this discrepancy didn't matter.

Can a welder add me a 1/4 in strip of metal on one corner to remedy?
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:28 pm

The width of the frame is off at the hitch end by 1/4 inch.

That's 1/8" on each side. I wouldn't consider it a problem. By the way, I build my frames 59 1/2" for a five-wide.

The other issue, it's hard to look at a photo and decide if the part is structural or not. That tongue looks weak to me anywho.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:33 am

tony.latham wrote:
The other issue, it's hard to look at a photo and decide if the part is structural or not. That tongue looks weak to me anywho.

Tony

A popup tongue is weak. I would weld that tracking in solid or replace it with another stronger member. The out rails on that frame need help. I have seen many popup tongues bent. Even when it was a popup.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:33 am

Philip wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

Tony

A popup tongue is weak. I would weld that tracking in solid or replace it with another stronger member. The outside tongue rails on that frame need help. I have seen many popup tongues bent. Even when it was a popup.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets