Axle mounting help

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Axle mounting help

Postby AmyH » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:48 pm

Okay, I am at the point where I am ready to mount my axle (Dexter #9 torsion axle with side hangers). I am wondering if there are tips/tricks for getting the axle square to the tongue. I am figuring that it is just a matter of measuring from the tongue to the axle in few different places to check for square, but I would love to hear how other people have done it. I have a straight tongue (not an A frame style, that sounds wierd). I guess I am a little bit nervous about getting it perfectly square, so I have been holding off on welding on the hangers until I know for sure that I am thinking about it all correctly.

Any hints/tricks? :thinking:

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby bg » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:10 pm

Amy,

That's the best way I've found to do it. Don't be afraid to measure five or six times either.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:57 am

Just make sure you have equal measurements from the tip of the tongue to the tip of the axle. Make your measurements as lagre as practical (the ends), and it will be more accurate.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby AmyH » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Thanks guys! :thumbsup: I just wanted to make sure my thinking was correct on this,

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets