Trailer design, help needed

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Trailer design, help needed

Postby Onajourney » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 am

I just finished my off road frame. My first suggestion would be make it at least 9'. That extra 1' makes a huge difference in the galley. Second, I did not get all worked up about the tongue angles. I just laid one on the frame, adjusted it where it looked right, made at least 3 connection points, and marked it. Then cut two. Worked great.
I put 35' tires on so is just a bit heavy at 570 lbs with 25" clearance. That will settle after the build. Image
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:29 pm

KCStudly wrote:Nothing against Tony's design, as it uses the center tongue member to attach a straight tongue coupler; just saying if you plan to use the standard A-frame style coupler with just the two outer members, they are set at 50 degrees included (25/65 each side).

I Have Two trailers using a standard off the local shelf 50 deg coupler style,
I have seen these used on overloaded dump trailers :shock:

I am also planning a trailer rolled 20 deg R instead of angled sides and top :thinking: Foamie & Light
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ptulli » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:21 pm

Onajourney wrote:I just finished my off road frame. My first suggestion would be make it at least 9'. That extra 1' makes a huge difference in the galley. Second, I did not get all worked up about the tongue angles. I just laid one on the frame, adjusted it where it looked right, made at least 3 connection points, and marked it. Then cut two. Worked great.
I put 35' tires on so is just a bit heavy at 570 lbs with 25" clearance. That will settle after the build. Image

Great design, I'm hoping to be a bit lighter but i doubt it lol. Looks a lot like what I am thinking of. What are you using for axels?

Not sure if I will be using the A-frame style as I plan on using the off road articulating hitch, but also may make part of it removable. Just thinking ahead.
Tow Rig: 2016 Wrangler 2d, planning overlanding/off-road camper (squaredrop/squareback)
ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Postby Onajourney » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:53 pm

PTulli- I can't exceed 2000lb gross weight being my TV is a Jeep JK. I was going to use 2000lb Flexrides but there was a 10 week lead. I got a pair of 2000 lb Rigid Hitch Torsion axels on Amazon cheap and quick. Nearly the same as the Flexrides. There a bit of a PITA to mount but they worked out.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:09 pm

All 2 dr JK's or just 4 cyl?

V6 Unlimited (4 dr) is 3500 lbs. My old straight 6 TJ 2 dr was 3000 lbs.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:13 pm

Onajourney wrote: Torsion axels on Amazon cheap and quick. Nearly the same as the Flexrides. There a bit of a PITA to mount but they worked out.

Found 1000 Lbs as well :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:37 pm

One of the cheap brands from amazon used to be made by dexter. I built a frame for someone on the cheap and ordered the stub torsion axles from amazon, came labeled with dexter labels.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby ptulli » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:03 pm

Onajourney wrote:PTulli- I can't exceed 2000lb gross weight being my TV is a Jeep JK. I was going to use 2000lb Flexrides but there was a 10 week lead. I got a pair of 2000 lb Rigid Hitch Torsion axels on Amazon cheap and quick. Nearly the same as the Flexrides. There a bit of a PITA to mount but they worked out.

I am in a 2dr jk as well. I will definitely have to check those out, thanks!
Tow Rig: 2016 Wrangler 2d, planning overlanding/off-road camper (squaredrop/squareback)
ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets