Completely wooden trailer frame for ultralight trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Completely wooden trailer frame for ultralight trailer?

Postby Betonhaus » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:12 am

I'm planning to make a trailer that is basically just a bed on wheels, with a wood skeleton covered in PMF.

I've been trying to figure out how I'd do the metal frame as I don't have the resources to cut metal, but I just realized; if my trailer is light enough I could just make the frame out of wood, right?

I'd have to seal it well and it won't last forever, but for a first attempt with a sub $1500 budget it might be good enough for a couple years until I make a real teardrop...

Plus I can build the frame box tall enough that the torsion axles stash underneath and so I don't run into the problem of trying to find the right balance point without interfering with the right door position.
Betonhaus
Teardrop Builder

Re: Completely wooden trailer frame for ultralight trailer?

Postby Betonhaus » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:10 am

I don't have a picture of the trailer design yet, but basically it's just big enough for a queen sized mattress and has a 3/4" plywood floor and the shell is hollowed out plywood with a PMF canvas wrap, just a bit more sturdy then a tent.

I think I could get it to be maybe 200-300 lbs unloaded...
Betonhaus
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:54 am

There are literally hundreds of small unused trailers hiding in the weeds everywhere. Just walk up and ask about them. The worst they can say is NO ! I purchased my abused harbor freight trailer for $75.00 I don't know where the little 4 x 6 harbor freight trailers are now price wise, but they were $149.00 when I purchased mine. You have all the lights and a legal certificate of origin to make getting plate a snap.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:06 am

This is rip van winkles frame. It was setting in an alley and I went up and knocked. The elderly lady told me it was her husbands little trash trailer before he died. We settled on $60.00 and the fun began.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38489&hilit=rip+van+winkle
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:07 am

In most states in US it would seem difficult to get a it registered. Just beware.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:25 am

+1 on looking for a used trailer, they are everywhere. It just may take some time to find a suitable one so start looking. Plus you can usually sell it for what you have into it if you want to build a more deluxe trailer in the future.

Lots of people, including myself, have used Harbor Freight trailers. They run around $500 but they frequently run coupon specials where you can get $100 or more off. They are fine for a light weight, basic trailer.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mtbikernate » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:35 am

QueticoBill wrote:In most states in US it would seem difficult to get a it registered. Just beware.

that's what I was thinking. If you build from scratch, you're gonna need to have it inspected and that's going to be a difficult process for a wooden trailer.

my father welded up a motorcycle trailer from scratch for himself. not a problem getting it inspected and registered. wood? fugetaboutit
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby Squigie » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:06 am

QueticoBill wrote:In most states in US it would seem difficult to get a it registered. Just beware.

May not matter.
In many states, the weight that Betonhaus is looking to hit is likely far below the threshold requiring registration.

Most states that I have lived in did not require anything under 800 lb (empty) to be registered. There are other factors, of course. But it was almost universally 800 lb or less = no registration.
Here, in this corner of Idaho, it is notably more difficult to register a trailer that doesn't require it, than to register a trailer for which it is mandatory.
The county that I lived in, in Florida, would not let you register a trailer that did not require it. Could not be registered, even if you wanted to do it.

Laws and regulations differ everywhere.
Registration may not matter.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:45 am

It is notably more difficult to register a trailer that doesn't require it, than to register a trailer for which it is mandatory.
I Have wondered this very thing! :thumbsup:

Wooden frame; With a endangered stamp and a expiration date :frightened:

Spell check fixed it. (engineered)
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:03 pm

and it won't last forever, but for a first attempt with a sub $1500 budget it might be good enough for a couple years until

I'm not sure I'd want to be on the same highway with a trailer that was built so poorly that it has a two-year life span. I don't mean to sound like a butthead but we need to consider safety with our potential thousand-pound missiles.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:00 pm

IMHO this would be an exercise in OMG ENGINEERING

there was a time when trailer undercarriages were simple rectangular frames just long enuff fore n aft to mount a set of leaf springs and wide enuff for the tires to clear it

the springs and fenders(when used) were mounted to the frame and the rest of the body was all wooden

sometimes there would be a pipe tongue welded to the frame and sometimes the pipe tongue was just U-bolted to the frame

here is a picture of a modern example(John Boat Trailer)

OIP.Vq-ySbMDUlDeONgRG6V7FwHaFJ.jpeg
OIP.Vq-ySbMDUlDeONgRG6V7FwHaFJ.jpeg (5.27 KiB) Viewed 425 times

the tongue on the new ones is square tubing and is U-Bolted to the angle iron frame

loosening the nuts holding the tongue allows you to slide the undercarriage as needed for balance

these are available thru Academy Sports in 2 sizes with the difference being the length of the tongue

the shorter version is $700 and will have documentation needed for registration

i have forever been one for buying used trailers and once modified to my needs registering them as HOME MADE

this very week i am finding out that here in Texas that is no longer an easy process and it's getting D..n'd expensive negating the savings from buying used and then some :shock:

we've had a governor or 3 over the last few years that campaigned on NO NEW TAXES

butt they've increased the number and the amounts of FEES 'til we can't afford to play like we used2 did :cry:

a btw is i order here ... buying something like this means you already have new tires wheels bearings fenders hitch coupler and a complete lighting system

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:21 pm

It would be an oversight not to recognize that the classic tear drop featured in Popular Mechanics, which seem to do a lot to popularized them, was wood framed.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Betonhaus » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:49 pm

tony.latham wrote:
and it won't last forever, but for a first attempt with a sub $1500 budget it might be good enough for a couple years until

I'm not sure I'd want to be on the same highway with a trailer that was built so poorly that it has a two-year life span. I don't mean to sound like a butthead but we need to consider safety with our potential thousand-pound missiles.

:frightened:

Tony

I should probably clarify that I'd trash it when it gets visibly worn and suspect, but mostly that it's intended to be cheap and light enough for a first attempt that I have no qualms replacing it in a couple years. If it holds up well I might give it to someone who wants it.

That being said, if I can get access to welding equipment I could just make a metal triangle frame - except I have much more access to a woodworking shop. I have the basic skeleton in mind I just need to figure out ventilation and how to attach the wheels and hitch. If the trailer is light enough I suspect I can just use a solid 3/4 or one inch 4x8' plywood floor then bolt the torsion axles to it and the hitch to a 2x4 or 4x4 that is long enough to secure the tongue.
Betonhaus
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:41 pm

QueticoBill wrote:It would be an oversight not to recognize that the classic tear drop featured in Popular Mechanics, which seem to do a lot to popularized them, was wood framed.

Generally speaking, cars were slower then. And folks weren't as conscious of road safety in those days. Couldn't do it today, especially on interstates or other fast highways.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:45 am

I understand things have changed, but we're now building skyscrapers from wood.

Too bad the design resources link above is dead, but there were a couple of lightweight designs which were practically all wood with just two pieces of angle or tube and an axel.

I'm sure an all wood frame can be built that would be fine and safe even at high speeds, but hard to register with out an engineers seal I suspect. Whether it's less expensive or faster is another issue.

The used trailer route if Harbor Freight/Northern Tools options are too rich does make most sense to me.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets