Painting my Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Painting my Frame

Postby IndyTom » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:58 am

OK, except for my axle which is on order but wont be here for about two weeks and the tongue, which I intend to finish this afternoon, my frame is moving toward being at the painting stage. So, what does experience say? How should I do this? Krylon? Tar? Prime? Don't prime? What is Rust Bullet? I know what I am thinking, but I wanna hear from the guys, and gals, who have done it before, and maybe would do it different next time.

Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:24 am

1) wipe the whole thing down really good with thinner/spirits etc.
2) scuff it with a scotch brite pad
3) dry wipe it to remove any rust dust
4) get a rattle can or two of an etching primer from the auto paint supply house and prime
5) while at the auto paint supply, get some "Industrial Black" paint and shoot 3 coats about 30 min apart
...do these 5 things and you will end up with a good looking frame for years to come
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:10 pm

I second what jack says, Only it might take more than 2 cans of etching primer I used two cans on mine and it is small.

Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Mitheral » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:46 pm

I'd add remove mill scale to step 3. It's a lot easier to do this before welding everything up but sandblasting with glass beads or sanding with a flapper disk will work pretty well at your stage. Belt sanders are effective on outside surfaces. It's amazing the difference in paint adhesion removing all the scale instead of just the loose stuff will make.

For those who haven't started welding yet you can use chemical methods to remove scale. Make a trough large enough to hold your sticks of raw steel. Line the trough with heavy plastic so that you have a long skinny pool that you can soak your steel in. You then pour in vingar completely covering the steel and let it soak over night. You can subsitute muratic acid for quicker results.

Remove steel, rinse with water (hot if available) and then dry off.

The surface will start to rust immediately so after the steel is fully dry you want to spray on primer.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:08 pm

Rust bullet is a paint made to inhibit rust. Tough stuff, don't get it on your skin.

http://www.rustbullet.com/
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:21 pm

asianflava wrote:Rust bullet is a paint made to inhibit rust. Tough stuff, don't get it on your skin.

http://www.rustbullet.com/

didn't Dean or Doug (can't remember) have a problem painting over Rustbullet?
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets