Brakes or No Brakes? Timbren supension

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Brakes or No Brakes? Timbren supension

Postby Hitec4you » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:22 am

I am putting a Timbren 3500lb suspension on my 5x10 frame. My tow vechile will be a 2021Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road. I was thinking about putting brakes on the camper but cant make up my mind. :thinking: I am also trying to keep matching stock wheels on the camper that match my TV. They are 6x5.5 lug pattern and 16in wheels.
Hitec4you
Teardrop Builder

Re: Brakes or No Brakes? Timbren supension

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:49 am

If brakes are in the budget... even if they aren't, you are better off with them than without. Bonus if the TRD already comes with a brake controller.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:30 pm

FYI: ??? if Toyota Tacoma's lug pattern is "still" a "5.5 in. dia. measurement" like it had been year ago??? and has not changed to being a 'metric' measurement size yet?? = than they are still using the GM/Chev lug pattern that they had/have been used since the mid-thirty's...... the concern than in using wheels from another manufacturer will than be whether it's center hole is the correct size or not???...... This '6hole - 5.5in' pattern is 'still' being used on full sized GM/Chev PU's of today also - and as of 2023 = also the new '23 Gen Colorado's ..... (1st Gen Colorado's '05/'12 used the same 5.5in pattern, but had a different sized center hole size - 2nd Gen Colorado's '15/'22 were also 6-holed, but had a 'metric' sized pattern = New 3rd Gen '23 on = have been now standardized back to using the same wheel's now as full sized Silverado's thus making them 'inter-changeable')
Last edited by gudmund on Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:03 pm

I am also trying to keep matching stock wheels...

Will the trailer hub fit through the Tacoma wheels?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:14 am

they might fit? the standard 'trailer industry' 5 lug set-up being used is the Ford/Chrysler 4.5in pattern from years ago. The 'trailer industry' 6 lug set-up is the GM 5.5in pattern.(which the small Toyota P/U's also used for years - and may still use?) and the 'trailer industry' 8 lug set-up being used was from the HD 3/4-1 ton trucks. Some wheel "fitting/testing" needs to be done........ with all of the last 30/40++ years of the auto industry's 'metric' re-sizing changes = almost every company is now using 'their' own wheel bolt pattern spec's = nothing seem's to be common anymore / which it probably 'never' was to begin with...........
now it's time to borrow that spare 'from a friend or two' to see 'how or if' they will fit between vehicle brands?? :thinking: :thinking:
Last edited by gudmund on Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Onajourney » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:09 pm

One of my only regrets on my build was not installing brakes. Now I am figuring out how to now.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets