Wheels for a teardrop

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Wheels for a teardrop

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:26 pm

Hey guys, starting to build my trailer slowly. The frame is already built, now working on the tires. I've read a lot from this forum about using regular car tires of the teardrops so that's what I'm doing. Especially, because I like the fact that my TV has the same measurements and comes with a spare which I can use for emergencies. I went to the local salvage "vehicle pick your part" for wheels. I ended up getting 2 wheels that are 15 X 6, they still have the old honda caps on them. They fit on my trailer axle just fine, right hub spacing etc...I went to Walmart today and asked if they could put tires on them, obviously they won't be mounting them on anything since I will be putting them on my trailer. Well, Walmart basically told me that they couldn't because I needed the tire measurements. I said that I don't have the tire measurements since they're just the wheels and I gave them the measurements for the wheels. They still insisted that they couldn't do it because it may not fit right etc....and they needed the other measurements to put on the computer etc...So, I asked them "...then how do those car/tire places know what tires to put on when people buy custom rims/wheels?...." the guy had no answer and just kept repeating that they needed the tire information. I was frustrated and left. :x
I'm pretty sure Walmart was going through protocol/liability concerns etc...so my dilemma is: :thinking:
(1) Do I actually go to a tire shop and ask them, maybe are have more knowledge about it?
(2) I was thinking, since my TV wheel measurements are basically the same as the ones I got from the salvage yard (15 x 6) that I could use the TV tire specs and just give that to Walmart or a tire shop, what do you think? TV is a Honda civic.
(3) Should I just sell the wheels and buy two regular tires?
Any help with would appreciated. Thanks in advance.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Wheels for a teardrop

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:18 pm

Use the specs from the vehicle the wheels came off. Go with the narrower option if there is one. You'll probably want to reduce the tire pressure on the trailer if it's much lighter than the car. Otherwise, your trailer tires will wear faster on the center of the tread.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:24 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:Use the specs from the vehicle the wheels came off. Go with the narrower option if there is one. You'll probably want to reduce the tire pressure on the trailer if it's much lighter than the car. Otherwise, your trailer tires will wear faster on the center of the tread.

I would if I could, but the wheels were piled up on the side of the yard. Its a massive yard and cars/suv's are scattered, organized chaos sort of speak.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:50 pm

23Sojourney45 wrote:(1) Do I actually go to a tire shop and ask them, maybe are have more knowledge about it?

Find a good one and dollars to donuts they are. I'm biased because we own a Jeep, so we see our mechanic a lot. Also, it's an auto shop/tire shop, and it's a small town. Anyway, we became good friends, and I haven't stumped him yet with a tire question. (He annoyingly corrected a Star Trek trivia question, but that's another story.)

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:19 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
23Sojourney45 wrote:(1) Do I actually go to a tire shop and ask them, maybe are have more knowledge about it?

Find a good one and dollars to donuts they are. I'm biased because we own a Jeep, so we see our mechanic a lot. Also, it's an auto shop/tire shop, and it's a small town. Anyway, we became good friends, and I haven't stumped him yet with a tire question. (He annoyingly corrected a Star Trek trivia question, but that's another story.)

Tom

That's a good idea, I have a local auto shop that I take my cars too. I'm going to give him a call and see what's up, hopefully is as good as yours, if not then I'm back to square 1 lol.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:37 pm

have been told the same at W-M, so I than bought the tires I wanted from them bringing in my own rims which they mounted up & balanced for me. (than took home and installed myself) On my teardrop - all I use is "car tires" = they ride "so" much !!!better!!! than them 'stiff-sided' trailer tires along with them being weight-rated heavy enough for carrying the load my trailer weights (for almost 1/2 the $$ of trailer tires). I use their W-M brand Douglas tire (made in the US by Goodyear for them) same tire I have run on my Geo/Suzuki's for year with good-luck - just bigger size.......I am using their 205/75-14R sized one's - there is a 205/75-15R sized version in this line tire's. And being there are so many W-M's around - I like them even more being they are so much more available 'if and when' I ever need another when out raveling. When I bought mine they were about $53 apiece (2020), but with the :? 'biden-omics' :thumbdown: of today????? just don't know being I haven't looked around lately...... :roll:
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:59 pm

gudmund wrote:have been told the same at W-M, so I than bought the tires I wanted from them bringing in my own rims which they mounted up & balanced for me. (than took home and installed myself) On my teardrop - all I use is "car tires" = they ride "so" much !!!better!!! than them 'stiff-sided' trailer tires along with them being weight-rated heavy enough for carrying the load my trailer weights (for almost 1/2 the $$ of trailer tires).

That's awesome! :thumbsup: yeah that's why I'm choosing car tires because of tnttt, so many have said they ride so nice. WM is everywhere which is a plus and more importantly the tires will be available for the most part. I'm double checking my TV rim size, I'm 99% its the same as the wheel size I have, 15x9. The tires are 195/65 R15. I will have to check those tires out that you mentioned and see what the price is now.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:19 pm

W-M brand "Douglas All Season" is what they were named, the last time I looked at them (could have a different name by now - they used to be named 'Xtra Trac 2's' when I first started using them..... used them on my Metro's/Swift's for years getting 40/50 thou each out of them (they have a 45 thou mile wear rating) when working - to/from work = 105++mile daily drive, =ing right around a total of 1 million miles driven on the 7 Metro/Swifts I owned since 1987......never a problem with any of them except for the few nails-flats -here/there-........ 25/30thou miles on the teardrop so far the last 6/7 years = no flats or problems yet, either......... (that's paved hi-way "road" wear - I 'DO NOT' go "off-road"................)
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:03 pm

23Sojourney45 wrote:Hey guys, starting to build my trailer slowly. The frame is already built, now working on the tires. I've read a lot from this forum about using regular car tires of the teardrops so that's what I'm doing. Especially, because I like the fact that my TV has the same measurements and comes with a spare which I can use for emergencies. I went to the local salvage "vehicle pick your part" for wheels. I ended up getting 2 wheels that are 15 X 6, they still have the old honda caps on them. They fit on my trailer axle just fine, right hub spacing etc...I went to Walmart today and asked if they could put tires on them, obviously they won't be mounting them on anything since I will be putting them on my trailer. Well, Walmart basically told me that they couldn't because I needed the tire measurements. I said that I don't have the tire measurements since they're just the wheels and I gave them the measurements for the wheels. They still insisted that they couldn't do it because it may not fit right etc....and they needed the other measurements to put on the computer etc...So, I asked them "...then how do those car/tire places know what tires to put on when people buy custom rims/wheels?...." the guy had no answer and just kept repeating that they needed the tire information. I was frustrated and left. :x
I'm pretty sure Walmart was going through protocol/liability concerns etc...so my dilemma is: :thinking:
(1) Do I actually go to a tire shop and ask them, maybe are have more knowledge about it?
(2) I was thinking, since my TV wheel measurements are basically the same as the ones I got from the salvage yard (15 x 6) that I could use the TV tire specs and just give that to Walmart or a tire shop, what do you think? TV is a Honda civic.
(3) Should I just sell the wheels and buy two regular tires?
Any help with would appreciated. Thanks in advance.

23Sojourney45, tires have specific dimensions just as do wheels

IF you intend to use your TV spare as a spare for the TD i might suggest you take the TV spare and see how it actually fits on the trailer

make sure you allow for wall framing and skinning for your tire clearance

the following image is only for example and does not necessarily specify the dimensions and clearance needed for YOUR application and you will have to plug your needs into the image

8cd40c2b58857ea175cf93656e877773.jpg
8cd40c2b58857ea175cf93656e877773.jpg (7.8 KiB) Viewed 379 times

there are several tire sizes that can fit on your 15x6 wheels and the tire dimensions ARE needed by any tire shop in order to meet your needs

this image is somewhat generic but you can go to your TV and replace the numbers in the image w/ the numbers on your vehicle

165db949-40ee-4ce8-bbb7-3046118b6a07_1.77c730152e3fe0c89e05f776e87ca2b7.jpeg
165db949-40ee-4ce8-bbb7-3046118b6a07_1.77c730152e3fe0c89e05f776e87ca2b7.jpeg (41 KiB) Viewed 379 times

the width of this tire is 215mm

the tire height ratio of 65 in this image means the actual rubber tire results in a tire size w/ a radius equal to 65% of 215mm for a total of 139.75mm (2 x 65% of 215mm for 279.5mm/11" added to 15" would be the assembled tire's diameter of 26"±)

15" auto tires can be purchased from 155mm > 265mm ± wide and the tire store needs to know what size you need/want/think you want

it is sad that the sales person @ wallyworld did not realize you did not understand what he/she was asking about and explain it to you

in all likelihood you need to goto an independent tire shop w/ a more knowledgeable staff and explain what you are trying to do

you will likely get asked more questions that send you home for more measurements

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR QUEST

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:34 pm

gudmund wrote:W-M brand "Douglas All Season" is what they were named, the last time I looked at them (could have a different name by now - they used to be named 'Xtra Trac 2's' when I first started using them..... used them on my Metro's/Swift's for years getting 40/50 thou each out of them (they have a 45 thou mile wear rating) when working - to/from work = 105++mile daily drive, =ing right around a total of 1 million miles driven on the 7 Metro/Swifts I owned since 1987......never a problem with any of them except for the few nails-flats -here/there-........ 25/30thou miles on the teardrop so far the last 6/7 years = no flats or problems yet, either......... (that's paved hi-way "road" wear - I 'DO NOT' go "off-road"................)

That's a lot of mileage on those tires, knock on wood for more! You'd have to get another set of tires for off road, maybe a different axle too depending on the terrain. I will double check to see what the MART has, if not then the LTS would have to do.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:02 am

swoody126 wrote:the width of this tire is 215mm

the tire height ratio of 65 in this image means the actual rubber tire results in a tire size w/ a radius equal to 65% of 215mm for a total of 139.75mm (2 x 65% of 215mm for 279.5mm/11" added to 15" would be the assembled tire's diameter of 26"±)

15" auto tires can be purchased from 155mm > 265mm ± wide and the tire store needs to know what size you need/want/think you want

it is sad that the sales person @ wallyworld did not realize you did not understand what he/she was asking about and explain it to you

in all likelihood you need to goto an independent tire shop w/ a more knowledgeable staff and explain what you are trying to do

you will likely get asked more questions that send you home for more measurements

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR QUEST

sw

Its sad but these things happen. To be honest, I don't think he knew what he was doing, he was more concerned about why there was no tire on the wheel. I'm glad there forum exist to help out. Thank you!
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets