inspected and certified to tow

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

inspected and certified to tow

Postby tredf69 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:05 am

hi i am new to this area after building a tear drop trailer do i need to get it inspected and certified by say highway patrol to tow done road i live in chouteau ok and would like to recieive a reply on the legal certification of this
wanting to restore and build small trailers for hobbey and possible friendship ties
tredf69
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:16 am

I can tell you in Michigan that the police have to inspect the trailer before the license bureau will register it. It's pretty simple though... They look at the lights, and a couple other little things, and just sign off on it...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby emiller » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:56 am

In Arizona you go to the DMV with reciepts of your supplies used to build your trailer and they look it over if they sign off which they usually do they affix a number or vin to it you pay your fees and off you go.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:45 am

In Oklahoma, I don't think small trailers even have to be lisenced. At least, that is what I was told in the past.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:52 am

Welcome Tredf69
In Missouri we have to get a safety inspection on homemade trailers at the same place we get our cars inspected. I haven't asked how that changes with a TD/TTT cause I fear the people here. The delight in making things as complicated as possible.

Enjoy
Miriam
:miriams:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Chris C » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:08 am

SteveH wrote:In Oklahoma, I don't think small trailers even have to be lisenced. At least, that is what I was told in the past.

I wish that were correct, Steve..............but I've got (lost somewhere among all my piles of papers) two pages I have to fill out before I have the trailer inspected to qualify for my tag. Couldn't find anyone at the Oklahoma Tax Commission (they issue our tags) who could tell me exactly what sort of an inspection I'd have to go through though.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby JohnF » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:15 am

In Colorado I got my trailer license even before the HF trailer was assembled by taking a photo of all the parts laying on the garage floor, and a close-up of the VIN number that was attached along with a "certificate of origin" - that's it.
JohnF
Donating Member

Trailer Regs

Postby An Ol Timer » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:31 am

This is a subject that has been rehashed several times and now might be a good time to make it a separate post, possibly under the FAQs. If a person from each state could bring down the actual requirements from the home DMV and post them for all to use it would be a start.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets