NT 5x8 Tongue Crack Help

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

NT 5x8 Tongue Crack Help

Postby Dan P » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:22 pm

Greetings,
I was at a gathering recently and a fellow member told me about a problem he had with his NT trailer. We went to my trailer so he could show me and sure enough, I had the same thing going on. Looks like my NT Trailer has a crack on both the left and right side where the tongue plate connects to the C-Channel (See pics). I was wanting to extend the tongue another 12 inches anyway, so now this gives me a good reason to not delay. Any recommendation on the best way to fix and extend?

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 586 times

Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Re: NT 5x8 Tongue Crack Help

Postby Hubert » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:05 pm

I don't have a good suggestion how to fix this, but I would recommend to take a look at this page about tongue strength https://web.archive.org/web/20160425130632/http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear84.htm. Is this the trailer you added brakes to? This will increase the load on the tongue, maybe that's why it started cracking. A longer tongue will also require stronger materials. If you know the weight of the trailer, the spreadsheet on the page I linked might give you a starting point as to what gauge material you need to use for the new tongue to avoid future cracks.
Hubert
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan P » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:54 pm

Awesome. thank you for the info. Much appreciated. Yes, this is the trailer I added brakes to.
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:55 pm

Thanks for posting this. I've got a NT 5x8 as a utility trailer and my son and brother both have NT teardrop chassis. If I find any similar cracks I'll report back.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:19 pm

I think my signature has how I extended NT tongue. A piece of 2 x 2 x 1/4 back to middle cross member.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:11 pm

I think the fix–-after the crack is welded--is to install a piece of pipe as a spacer on the bolts that crank down on the channel (or tubing). The spacer needs to be a good fit inside with no slop.

But others who have had this issue might chime in with how they addressed it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:43 pm

tony.latham wrote:I think the fix–-after the crack is welded--is to install a piece of pipe as a spacer on the bolts that crank down on the channel (or tubing). The spacer needs to be a good fit inside with no slop.

But others who have had this issue might chime in with how they addressed it.

Tony

Someone please correct me if the design I have has changed...

Tony, I'm sure that that fix (a spacer) would help with new longer bolts, however, the three NT trailers I have assembled have individual bolts, washers and nuts on the top and bottom. They are not cranking down on the C channel.

The flat plate you see in the second photo is not bolted through the C channel to the bottom with three individual bolts. The three bolts you see in the second photo (the curb side of the tongue) are actually six individual bolts, three on top and three on the bottom. That is repeated on the other side of the plate on the road side. So twelve, yes twelve bolts on the flat plate tying the tongue assembly together.

I did something similar to Pat's design change when I added a longer tongue tube that goes from coupler straight back to the frame. That upgrade was to allow carrying 17' canoes which would have been awkward with the short supplied NT tongue.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:20 pm

however, the three NT trailers I have assembled have individual bolts, washers and nuts on the top and bottom. They are not cranking down on the C channel.

Gotcha. I think you caught me armchair quarterbacking from a distance. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:34 am

Before welding make sure to find the end of the crack and drill an arresting hole. Then gouge out a vee notch weld prep along the length of the crack using a thin-ish grinding wheel and 4inch grinder, or tapered rotary file in a die grinder. Probably best to disassemble the items off the front of the tongue so they aren't fighting you and clamp well to move the uplifted portion back into position. After welding the gouged out crack and arresting hole, fit a closure plate to the front end of the 'C' and weld that in. The closure plate will tie the top and bottom legs of the 'C' together making it much more resistant to allowing the upper flange to curl up (which is what caused the problem in the first place). Unfortunately, you can't box the channel because you need to be able to access the fasteners, but adding the end cap closure plate should be plenty enough. Use material of similar thickness to the 'C'.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Dan P » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:26 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I think my signature has how I extended NT tongue. A piece of 2 x 2 x 1/4 back to middle cross member.

This is perfect! Thank you so much for replying; it is exactly what I needed. I will be picking up a 2x2 piece tomorrow! Thanks again!
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dan P » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:29 pm

KCStudly wrote:Before welding make sure to find the end of the crack and drill an arresting hole. Then gouge out a vee notch weld prep along the length of the crack using a thin-ish grinding wheel and 4inch grinder, or tapered rotary file in a die grinder. Probably best to disassemble the items off the front of the tongue so they aren't fighting you and clamp well to move the uplifted portion back into position. After welding the gouged out crack and arresting hole, fit a closure plate to the front end of the 'C' and weld that in. The closure plate will tie the top and bottom legs of the 'C' together making it much more resistant to allowing the upper flange to curl up (which is what caused the problem in the first place). Unfortunately, you can't box the channel because you need to be able to access the fasteners, but adding the end cap closure plate should be plenty enough. Use material of similar thickness to the 'C'.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I dont have a welder, but will be a bit more informed when I find someone to do itfor me.
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 pm

My adding the 2x2 and inverting the NT bent plate intended for coupler does lower coupler 2". Works fine on my tow vehicle. Also, just bolts and drilling, no welding required.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby pchast » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:03 pm

Of course the crack is likely the result of stress.
:thinking:
I'm not a materials engineer But it seems like:

That stress might be eliminated by any method of boxing the c channel
where its bolted. Then there would be no lever to bend.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby philpom » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:02 pm

I'm thinking that @Tony hit it with his spacer comment. After repairing and/or as a preemptive fix I suspect that buying longer bolts and placing a nice large diameter tight fitting spacer in there would give a similar effect to boxing it off. By directly associating the lower section of the C with the upper section it'll shore it up and end any flex.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby TheOtherSean » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:50 pm

I had a very similar problem develop with the tongue of my build atop a NT 5x8 trailer while towing it back from Montana last year. As a temporary fix I replaced the individual bolts at the end with bolts that went all the way through. This year I reinforced with heavy duty angle iron inside the C channel, bolted into the side and top of the channel. At the front, the bolts through the top go through the coupler plate, channel, and angle iron. No problems with it during this year's trip.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets