trailer wire "clips" for square tubing

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

trailer wire "clips" for square tubing

Postby italianub » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:57 am

Hey everyone,

My trailer (we're welding starting Thursday) is square tubing, and I am wondering what you guys use to hold your trailer wire. I figured zip ties, but that's not aesthetically pleasing from the outside and would also interfere with putting the floor on. I've seen these weldable tabs in videos before but can't seem to find them online anywhere. The wires will be sent down my center beam square tubing to a junction box, and from there I need some way to hold them to the frame, clips won't work since I am not using channel steel. One thing I thought of was just welding some spare links from my towing chains on since I'll have extra anyway.

In Tony's book he uses adhesive-backed mounting plates, but I'd like a more permanent solution that I can zip tie the wire loom to.

Any help or direction would be great!
Build began Feb 10th, 2024
Build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=76227
Video build journal: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0ZP7TwtcT3
italianub
Teardrop Advisor

Re: trailer wire "clips" for square tubing

Postby italianub » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:04 pm

I guess I was using the wrong terminology! Found these - anyone had any experience with em?

https://www.amazon.com/Sidco-Supply-Wel ... 135&sr=8-3

better reviews here (though not too many)

https://www.amazon.com/Jikacok-Premium- ... r=8-9&th=1
italianub
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:12 pm

In Tony's book he uses adhesive-backed mounting plates, but I'd like a more permanent solution that I can zip tie the wire loom to.

Well... the plates are still stuck to the frame--five years later. They were installed the day after it was painted, so there's no
question the surface was clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B3DZ8WB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm not saying there isn't something better, but they work well. You could use Adele clamps and tap and drill the holes, but that would be a whole lotta work. Pun intended.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:49 pm

Since you're welding anyway, why not use short pieces, or rings, of tubing welded to the frame to pass wires through.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby italianub » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:45 pm

Sparksalot wrote:Since you're welding anyway, why not use short pieces, or rings, of tubing welded to the frame to pass wires through.

good call! I should have some spare tubing leftover :thumbsup:
italianub
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:01 pm

Unplated 1/4-20UNC rod coupling nuts tack welded on, then use short 1/4-20 SS pan or hex head screws and plastic "P" clamps. The coupling nuts provide standoff from the frame and prevent any debris from collecting while still holding your wire bundles securely. I like to put them every 12-18 inches of run.

Don't run wires loosely in chassis tubing or thru over sized rings. Wires can move around, flex repeatedly and break or chaffe.

I like to use the corrugated split loom with a small amount of electrical tap to secure the ends at junctions, but you can also just cinch extra zip ties in between the coupling nut anchor points, just leave them loose until you are totally sure you are done wiring. You don't want multiple layers of wires tied on to an ever growing bundle, you want a single bundle that is much easier to make repairs and changes to.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 pm

Sparksalot wrote:Since you're welding anyway, why not use short pieces, or rings, of tubing welded to the frame to pass wires through.

On my utility trailer I used lock washers welded to the frame with the split away from the frame towards the top. Open them up a little before welding, then when it's wired you can close them up a little or use a zip tie.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby pchast » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:11 pm

I used plastic pipe... any steel pipe needs to be well deburred to protect the wire.
:thinking: :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:28 am

I ran all wiring from hitch to rear of trailer and up through floor in one 1/2" pvc conduit. strapped with self tapping screws.

Or you can use something like these with self tapping screws.

https://www.amazon.com/mankk-Compatible-Stainless-Management-M-034-BK-LS/dp/B098QBQGWW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=QNTJB7N4D5JS&keywords=plastic%2Bwire%2Bclip&qid=1707143243&sprefix=plastic%2Bwire%2Bclip%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-3&th=1
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:29 am

The method of welding on the coupling nuts and not putting wires in a tube or conduit has many advantages: 1) they stand the cable run off of the frame and avoid crude collecting; 2) you aren't drilling and tapping your frame so no water or rust issues are created inside; 3) the bolts you use to install the P-clips protect the internal threads (as opposed to welding bolts to the frame and using nuts to secure the P-clips, which leaves the threaded tip of the bolt to rust); if you ever do have a problem with one of them it's easy enough to cut it off and add another one without cutting extra holes in your frame. The split loom allows you access to any wire at any time... at the expense of a few zip ties... to make repairs, updates, troubleshoot, etc., while holding the wires securely to avoid chafing or flex. Just saying, that's how we did it on commercial applications because it was the most reliable method using simple readily available stuff.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets