Trailer Wiring Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer Wiring Question

Postby IndyTom » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:44 pm

The trailer frame is complete and ready to pull. just needs painting and I am waiting for the weather to warm up a little before I start that. Right now I am just trying to think of all the details that will be much harder to deal with later. I need to run wiring to my trailer brakes from the tongue. I am thinking that this should be run inside conduit. Im I thinking right, or am I over thinking? I was planning 1/2" conduit for all the trailer wiring that would be outside the cabin itself. Opinions?? :thinking: :thinking:
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:55 pm

The conduit is a good idea and it will come in handy when the wiring goes bad. :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:28 pm

I agree with using conduit but make sure you use a junction box at every turn, it's so much easier to work with the wire. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby IndyTom » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:56 am

OK. So this time I wasnt over engineering the problem. Im thinking PVC conduit held in place with galvanized straps attached with self drilling screws.

And Danny, you are very correct about ensuring access to every turn. I have been down that road before.

Im also thinking that once all the wires are in place, sealing the ends with a plug of silicone to keep the crud out. :thinking:

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:36 am

Great idea...
Last edited by Arne on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby toypusher » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:11 am

from an 8" utility up to car haulers

What do you use the 8 inch utility trailer for?? :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:18 am

Probably to carry those teardrop trailer models we see. :rofl:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby angib » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:16 pm

IndyTom wrote:Im also thinking that once all the wires are in place, sealing the ends with a plug of silicone to keep the crud out. :thinking:

Also sounds like an excellent way to keep crud inside the conduit...... :roll:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby IndyTom » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:43 pm

OK Andrew, Im confused now. :? Are you saying that you think sealing with silicone is a bad idea? If one started with crud-free conduit, wouldn't the inside remain in a crud-free state when sealed with silicone? :thinking:

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Sorry, that was a bit cryptic. It's my experience that you need to be very sure your 'sealing' method will work otherwise the 'seal' becomes a way of holding in crud.

Crud, water, whatever seems to have this magical property that it can find its way in past a less-than-perfect seal, but not out past the same seal, unless it's a really good seal - which usually means a good quality, purpose-designed (and expensive) one.

My preference for under-trailer wiring is to use conduit just as a very long cable clip - no end caps, seals, joints, junctions, etc.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:30 pm

...I agree with Andrew on this one...we used conduit from the tube tongue to the entrance at rear of tear...no plugs, if water or crud get in it, it will get right backout...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:51 am

I ran the wiring thru the tongue (single tube tongue) which is open on both ends. The rest of the way, it is clamped to the outside of the tubing.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby IndyTom » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:17 am

Thanks Andrew and Madjack. Not sealing the ends of the conduit will certainly simplify things. Andrew, of course you are correct. I had spent considerable time trying to devise a way to seal the ends. The silicone plug was the best I had come up with, but I can see now how it could fail pretty easily.

I am planning to use PVC conduit mounted to the frame with single hole straps and self-drilling screws. Guess I have my next shopping list for a trip to Menards.

IndyTom
500 Club

elect question

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:03 am

Okay, using conduit from the trailer and back, under the trailer frame is something my friend and co-builder now had said we should do.

My ? : How are you attaching the conduit to the frame? Straps? Weld? Or is it attached to the underside of the floor/deck? Any visuals of course would help!

And then do you have a junction box at the rear, under the galley and then go up to a fuse box in the galley wall? The Kuffel plans show that , then run the wiring thru the wall or roof. Phil suggested using conduit, I guess flexible , but is that necessary? or overkill?

Thanks you wonderful wiring pros!!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby IndyTom » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:42 am

Julie,
I am currently planning to run only the trailer connections to the tow vehicle in conduit under the body(brake lights/turn signals, clearance lights, and brakes). All my 110V wiring and interior 12V wiring I intend to run in the walls of the tear. Someone here( sorry cant remember who just now) suggesting running them in 1/4" plastic tubing for easy repair replacement. That sound like a good idea, im thinking I will probably do that too.

As far as the conduit I am using. It is 1/2" PVC attached with single hole galvanized straps and self drilling screws. I promise there will be visuals as soon as possible. Hopefully this weekend.

IndyTom
500 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets