Propane tank hold down.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Propane tank hold down.

Postby TomS » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:08 pm

I’m getting ready to fabricate an assembly to carry a 20 lb propane tank on the tounge of my tear. I want to be able to easily remove my tank. So, I plan to make a simple square out of angle steel to keep the bottom of the tank from sliding around.

I plan to make hold hold-downs out of a pair of ½” diameter threaded rods and an angle bracket. The angle bracket will have slots to engage the collar at the top of the tank. I’ll use a pair of wing nuts on the top of the brackets along with a pair of retaining pins to keep the wing nuts from vibrating loose. The bottom of the threaded rods will be attached to the C-channel trailer frame with 4 Nylox nuts for redundancy.

Here are some drawings to help you visualize the assembly. Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome

Image Image
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 pm

Tom,

That will work... You might consider using a nylon or plastic wing nut, that'll eliminate a pin to keep from losing your wing nut.

I fabricated my tank mounting today too... Here's a picture of mine. It's rock solid. The wing nuts are underneath the angle.

Let me see if I can find more detail on the wingnut online... (I bought it at the local hardware store.)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:30 pm

No luck on the web search... so here's a pic of mine.

I believe it's a Mopar Air Cleaner Wing Nut...

Mike...

P.S. Have you seen this? 4th item down...
http://www.fishhousesupply.com/lpaccessories.htm

And I've seen the single version somewhere too!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:45 pm

Thanks for the photos Mike.

Do you thnk I can get those nylon wing nuts in 1/2"-13?

I'm more than a little paranoid about dropping the tank at 70 MPH on a busy interstate. That's why I came up with the pins and redundant nylox nuts. I want a system that absolutly positively can't vibrate loose.

I've seen those tank mounts. The only problem is they're made to hold 2 tanks. One 20 Lb tank should last me through an entire season. Nobody out there seems to be selling tounge mounted propane holders for a single 20 Lb tank.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:11 pm

Looks like a good idea. Only suggestion Would be to go to an electronic store and get some shrink tube. Shrink tube the threaded rod so it doesn't rub.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:14 pm

I'm not having any luck finding the single bottle rack that looked similar to the double bottle rack... All my hits appear to be this style bottle rack.

http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/single- ... -rack.html

Regarding the 1/2"-13UNC Wingnut:
If you go to www.mcmaster.com and go to page 2060, you'll see all kinds of wingnut/knobs you can buy... and yes they have the 1/2"-13...

You could even make a wingnut yourself out of wood. Just install a threaded insert or a t-nut. Or make one out of steel plate and weld on a nut.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Thanks Mike!

I just ordered a pair of these knobs from McMaster-Carr

They had some vibration resistant knobs, but not in the size I need. So, I still plan to use retaining pins. But, these knobs will be faster and easier on the hands than the wing nuts.

Sonet, The rods should be far enough from the tanks so they shouldn't rub. But, the shrink wrap idea might help prevent the steel rods from rusting.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:47 pm

Sonetpro wrote:Looks like a good idea. Only suggestion Would be to go to an electronic store and get some shrink tube. Shrink tube the threaded rod so it doesn't rub.

Steve,

I think we have some shrink wrap. Good idea...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:46 pm

Hey, I just found a bracket. Its not specifically for propane but it might work.

http://www.americanvan.com/catalog/stan ... amilyID=68

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:06 am

You can get them from Rockler. Don't know what thread count you are looking for though.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets