Trailer tires problem/need help please.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Arne » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:13 pm

We went to an airport restaurant tonight to drink Guinness and watch planes.... it reminded me of this thread.... Shirley got a kick out of it..... 160 mph... now, that is great..

I suspect you have the only tear in the world with tires rated for 160 mph... just in case..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby molethai » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:03 am

While I would not use them on the street under any circumstances- if nothing else than for the liability reasons, but they are built far tougher than auto tires- just not designed for continues use.
Aircraft tires accelerate from 0 to 150ish instantly. How many street cars do that?

Just some useless triva :)

Mole
molethai
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:08 am

Hey, Miriam, there's not much wrong with those little tyres - just look at the enjoyment so many people got from them..............

They wouldn't have enjoyed some boring 14-inch wheels at all!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:04 am

There is always a concern when specific purpose tires are used in a different application..... Aircraft tires usually have a lot of plies to take the sudden application of a lot of weight (hard landings). And, I suspect the compound would be noticeably different that street tires, probably softer for traction.... In the case of a tear, I suspect they would be under-loaded, but have no idea what the consequences would be of long term use....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:17 am

Miriam....thanks, I haven't laughed so hard at a post since Ira's evil brother discovered there was a depth adjustment on his new skill saw :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:52 pm

:lol: MJ Happy to cheer so many up.

I seriously promise not to ride those tires. If for no other reason than I fear they will slide on wet pavement. But it is funny and I really did get better milage coming home. (It's down hill too.)

I think you guys would be supprised at how many small tires are rated at high speeds. Remember they go around more times than big tires. It's the 3 thousand pound weight limit that got me.

Andrew: It was worth the worry.

I need to find the evil brother of Ira's and introduce him to my brother. He still says they are fine for what he intended them, which was hauling heavy stuff. Can't argue too much with that. I am still pulling screws out and some are in 1/2. They don't know I have a screw-out kit from Sears.

Hope those of you who are at Beavers Bend have a good time and the weather behaves.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets