Trailer tires problem/need help please.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer tires problem/need help please.

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:40 pm

My new trailer tires are bald as a baby's bottom after just 200 miles.
I was driving 60 to 70 and stopped a couple of times. The tires are 570/8R and I thought 8 ply would do pretty good. They are both equally worn all over and both tires are equally worn. :cry:
The axle is even on both sides and the trailer is square. Or as square as I can measure with the deck on.

The Tractor Supply guy said maybe the weight on the tongue could do it. The tire guy said maybe they got hot and wore out faster. :cry:

Please tell me what you think. Possible solutions too please.

Forlorned in MO
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:45 pm

Have you checked the bearings?
Sounds like they are dragging.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:52 pm

Your tires got scrubbed off somehow... I suspect way too much toe-in or toe-out... I see no reason tongue weight could have anything to do with it....

If it did it in 200 miles, I think you would almost see black marks on the road..

You can also try to measure inside from one wheel to the other on the front and the back to see how it looks... I have about 15,000 miles on my h/f with no noticeable wear at all...... you have something really messed up.......

Another thing.... take it for a ride and stop and feel bearing hubs and sidewalls of the tires to see if anything is really hot (not just slightly warm).. you might get a clue. If the tires are scrubbing that much they will be hot.

Thought of something else... are the tires rubbing on the frame underneath? With that much weight, the deck could be sitting on the tires...
Last edited by Arne on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby doug hodder » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:53 pm

Wow Miriam...200 miles is really fast....I know that the compounds on those tires isn't the same thing as is used on other vehicles...everything is square right? and tire pressure was up where it should be?....hubs felt cool so bearing drag wasn't an issue? and do you know what the total weight is? I have those tires on a utility trailer, and they do wear funny, but I haven't gotten them to get completely bald across the tire, only wears out certain ribs., but I still get several thousand out of them..and it seems that no matter what I do, they always wear funny, but not like your situation...I'd re-check axle distance from the hubs to the center front of the hitch...should be equal...and an overall weight might help solve the mystery...Arnie may have something with the toe in...and rubbing the bottom side of the top deck..check that one out...but I would think it would scuff them unequally if toe in was out, and show cupping...sorry I can't be of more help... :thinking: Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Chris C » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:56 pm

I'd think you've got a pidgeon-toed trailer there! :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:10 pm

200 miles :shock: :? it is a wonder something didn't catch fire...if it was a caster/camber problem you would probably have uneven tire wear...I would look for the frame/deck sitting down on tires or possibly worn bearings both of which should be obvious to inspection...how old were the tires...could they have been dry rotted and just shucked the tread...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:15 pm

I appreciate you help so much:
:( I will admit I didn't check the bearings because it was towing so well. My mileage was better coming home than going. My brother said he greased them for me and I should have checked. :thumbdown:

The weight is an unknown. It is 6'4" x 8'6" and has a 2x4 (4 across and 4, 2x4x3' (wheel wells) frame with a layer of 2x6 over and 2x6 around. The axle is 38" from the rear and the springs are on top of the axle. More than half of the weight is on the front. I can't pick it off the ground and I pick up my 80 pound dog.

The tires can't touch anything but road, unless bounced and my not know it, I guessssssss.

I measured close from axle to tongue and doesn't look off. Can't get a within 1/4 inch. without help.

Didn't check to see if pidgeon toed. Not real sure I remember how to measure toe in or out, but it looks good.

Oh yeah. Tow vehicle has 14 inch tires. Tires on trailer are rated at 160 mph.

:cry:
Last edited by Miriam C. on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:23 pm

MJ,
:oops: Oops. I didn't ask how old the tires were. They were new when put on but trailer didn't go anywhere. It did however sit in the back yard with the deck on. I will find out for how long. These tires were bought at a garage sale (devorce) from a person who raced go carts or something. They were new.

The wear is weird because it is so even. There are 4 deeper lines left in the tread and both are exactly the same debth.

:roll:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Micro469 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:30 pm

Miriam, I'd start by removing the 1000# of lumber you have on the trailer. Then hook it up and take it for a drive and have someone watch the tires out of the rear window. Jack it up and give the tires a spin to see if they turn freely. Maybe the axle is bent from all that weight. Just a thought......

Maybe the tires were underinflated....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:54 am

Miriam, I'm no expert here but it sounds like they could have been running underinflated and they have thrown the tread. Unusual for both to do it but not unheard of. Were they brand new or brand new retreads. Also, this comment about the 4 deeper lines with both the same depth has me a little confused. Are you saying two lines per tyre? This almost sounds like the retreading groove that some use.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Gage » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:00 am

Also sounds to me that there may not be enough air in the tires. For now be sure that the tires has max air pressure as noted on the tire.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:26 am

OMG :o
Paul:
4 deeper lines with both the same depth has me a little confused. Are you saying two lines per tyre? This almost sounds like the retreading groove that some use.
Cheers

4 deeper lines each tire, exactly the same depth, evenly spaced. Everything else is very smooth.
I have never had a retread come off. I remember them from my youth though.

I had a flash back when I read your post. About 30 miles from Joplin a couple of cars hit thier horn as they went past. I couldn't see anything and I wasn't speeding so I kept going. You may have something here. Wouldn't be the first time a set of tires were faulty either.

Tomorrow I will check the bearings and pull one of those tires and take it to my tire guy. He's the one who thought the heat might be a factor.

Tires are aired firmly. Didn't check cause my brother said he did. The are definately not under, maybe over though.

Making a list
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:32 am

Miriam, at your next opportunity go and have a look on the underside of the trailer above each wheel. I think you will find evidence of tread separation fairly evident if I'm right.
Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:36 am

Miriam...the fact that people were honking, indicates that they maybe saw something wrong...it may have thrown a tread...I guess I'm thinking bald like worn off, as opposed to thrown tread and bare cord....got some pics of the tires? that would help a lot for any clues...just asking....Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:36 am

Miriam C. wrote:OMG :o

Tires are aired firmly. Didn't check cause my brother said he did. The are definately not under, maybe over though.

Making a list
Miriam

Miriam, over inflation can cause as many problems as under inflation. I spent three years in my youth( about 20years ago) working for one of our major tyre resellers as a fitter and then sales rep. Those black things with the hole in the middle are still a Black Art to me :?
Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets