Spare Tire Location

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Micro469 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:05 pm

I think a safer place would be to mount it on the under side of the tongue at the front of the trailer. It's totally out of the way there and you wouldn't hit it going up or down a curb. Might affect your tongue weight tho....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Spare Tire Location

Postby Noob » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:19 pm

Looks kinda low...

If it was something other than your spare ... it might be ok.
I wouldn't want something to happen to it, and not work ( flat ) when you need it.

Donno, I am new to all this.

Marty.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Danny,

With the spare that close to the axle you probably wouldn't hit the tire from inclines or declines in the road, like a driveway entrance, it would probably be from hitting a pot hole. One thing for sure, it won't clear a cat in the road.

That's one way to get cat frisbees. :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't have any plans to do any offroading with this tear and have the same thoughts due to how close it's to the axle. I'll find out how it will do here in about 10 days when I take it out for inspection and licensing. I have seen tears on this board with water tanks hanging down and wonder if they have had any problems with clearence.:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby JunkMan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:45 am

Just watch out for 2 track roads and driveways, that center ridge is what took out the oil pan on our VW, and it sits at about 6". Just because you have clearance when sitting still, when you hit a pothole and bounce, your clearance disappears :cry:
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:11 am

Micro469 wrote:I think a safer place would be to mount it on the under side of the tongue at the front of the trailer. It's totally out of the way there and you wouldn't hit it going up or down a curb. Might affect your tongue weight tho....

That's a great Idea that I'll have to explore after I get the tear weighed, it would sit higher too. :D Thanks, Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Arne » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:42 am

Be careful, under the tongue might be worse. going up a road or driveway and pulling onto a flat road might hang it up.... you want to be as close to an axle as possible (to rise and drop with the axle).... the further away you get, the more problems you might have.

On top of the tongue, or against the front of the tear is a decent place if the sight of it does not offend you.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:42 pm

arnereil wrote:Be careful, under the tongue might be worse. going up a road or driveway and pulling onto a flat road might hang it up.... you want to be as close to an axle as possible (to rise and drop with the axle).... the further away you get, the more problems you might have.

On top of the tongue, or against the front of the tear is a decent place if the sight of it does not offend you.

On top is not an option as you can see from this photo. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Bandit » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:02 am

If you move your jack forward to the straight portion of your tongue, could you not mount your spare vertical on the from surface of your box?
It may distract from the beauty of your box.
:thinking:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:38 am

Bandit wrote:If you move your jack forward to the straight portion of your tongue, could you not mount your spare vertical on the from surface of your box?
It may distract from the beauty of your box.
:thinking:

Bandit, If I moved my jack there I would not be able to retract it for travel. There is a lid in the curved portion of the box with a locking hasp and I'm installing a onboard charger inlet for the battery charger on the front center of the box. I think my best bet so far would be to get a skinny spare and mount it either under the tongue or close to the axle like I have the regular spare now. If the chassis mfr. would have built it as requested I could have just used the spare on the tow vehicle but the bolt patterns are different. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:24 am

Danny,
Would something decorative go on the upper rear (passenger side) side?
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:32 am

Miriam C. wrote:Danny,
Would something decorative go on the upper rear (passenger side) side?
Miriam

Miriam, I don't want the tire to be a feature of the teardrop, it's just a necessity that I'll somehow hide on the underside. Thanks for the input. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby jagular7 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:48 am

Danny, do you care about symetry? If you have a hitch frame under the center of the TD, why not add another offcenter for the spare tire? Then with a little ingenuity, make the spare swing out and become a table like (insert name here) did. (I can't remember the woman's name.)
Though here spare is symetrical in the center, it swings to curb side, then rotates flat to provide a table-like platform.
Would weight be a concern for off-center? Depends on your material you use, plus the weight of the spare.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:58 pm

jagular7 wrote:Danny, do you care about symetry? If you have a hitch frame under the center of the TD, why not add another offcenter for the spare tire? Then with a little ingenuity, make the spare swing out and become a table like (insert name here) did. (I can't remember the woman's name.)
Though here spare is symetrical in the center, it swings to curb side, then rotates flat to provide a table-like platform.
Would weight be a concern for off-center? Depends on your material you use, plus the weight of the spare.

#1 I don't weld, yet. #2 I have other plans for an exterior table. #3 That sounds too complicated and it would interfere with the bikes and tail lights or the cabin doors. Thanks, :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bennelson » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:49 pm

You could always strap the tire to the roof and disguise it as a vent or airconditioner! ;)
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:55 am

Danny, Have you considered changing the hubs to match your tow rig? :thinking:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets