Bearing replacement good visual

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Bearing replacement good visual

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:14 pm

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php ... le&sid=134

hope it lasts a while is there a way to preserve it so when it expires the pictures on the site will stay around??

my trailer is now 90 % painted I am removing the bearings and about to wire it. I am still woring on how to balance the front part.
I have pictures of the trailer but am still learning how to reduce 8 mg to fit in the gallery. Has cross support in the back but little in the front. working on a cross beam to aid in support.
Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Leon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:29 am

I wouldn't use that article as the greatest example on how to do the job!

NEVER use gasoline to clean parts! :shock: I spent 10 years on a fire department and have seen what happens when gas is used.
The second part is to never use a screwdriver to hammer in bearing races. In addition to having metal fly off when two hardened parts are forced together, you can damage the hub. Use a brass punch (they are cheap at Harbor Freight). It's much safer and won't hurt the bearing.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby TomS » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 am

I second that. Not only is gasoline big time fire hazard. It's also a carcinogen. I think a good citris degreaser would be a safer alternative.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:57 am

In the big scheme, the little bit of gas I use is a drop in the ocean of life. I put some in an old peanut butter jar, throw in bearings, put on cap and swirl around.... if really dirty, I do it a second time.... the 1/2 cup of dirty gas is poured onto the ground where I don't want grass to grow, like cracks in the driveway.. I use an airhose to blow them out... I wear latex gloves.

there are safe ways to do almost everything... and there are stupid ways to do things.

Now, I am adding crap to the ground water. But, I see all my neigbors dumping bags of chemicals on their lawns and no one says boo. That does not make my action right, but I need clean bearings.

Oh, our gas now has ethonol, not MTBE....... and if anyone has a better way to really clean bearings, I'm willing to change...... and back in the old days, when I had a 'burning barrel' in the back yard, I used to throw gas on a diminishing fire from about 8 feet away.... I like the big "WOOSH" it made when the gas hit the fire..... I could be a fireman's bad ass poster boy on how not to handle gasoline.

And I find writing real life experiences like this, as they tend to get real life responses...... next time, I will tell you about how I caught the lawn mower on fire after washing it down with gasoline (I don't do that anymore)....

==============

About the installation, I always use a steel punch. I first put the outer race in place and place a block of wood over the. That usually gets it started straight. Then I go around the race lightly tapping it and it goes in pretty well.... there is a thunk when it hits bottom, and I'm done. Yes,I'm sure there are better ways, but this works for me.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby angib » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:08 am

Leon wrote:The second part is to never use a screwdriver to hammer in bearing races.

Yeah. I paid all that money for a socket spanner set, so I'm going to get some use from it - it has many different size sockets so there's always one that fits a bearing perfectly......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:50 am

this is 1/2 gallon of gas mixed with 1/2 gallon of diesel I guess that would clean your bearings!

Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Arne » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:15 am

Incineration is the best way to kill germs.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Chris C » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:17 am

YUP! :cigar:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Leon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:58 am

arnereil wrote:I wear latex gloves.

They melt real good when that gas ignites. The kid we took to the hospital with the skin falling of his hands never thought it would happen to him.

We have many people here that read this forum to learn how to do things, and it is very easy to not suggest a dangerous practice. Many people have gotten burned using gas for a cleaner. I have seen what it does and it isn't pretty. You go ahead and use it, but don't suggest that it is the right thing to do and proclaim that it's harmless. That's irresponsible.

arnereil wrote:there are safe ways to do almost everything... and there are stupid ways to do things.

The safe way is to use a proper cleaner, and the stupid way is to use gas.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:57 pm

Here's another with a good visual - http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/ Go to Resources and click on Bearings, Repacking and Numbers. I note that this guy uses gas, or at least says it will work, but be careful. I use it myself, and I probably spill more gas filling my lawnmower than I use to clean my bearings.

Ma3tt wrote:this is 1/2 gallon of gas mixed with 1/2 gallon of diesel I guess that would clean your bearings!

Blowing up a gallon is quite a bit different than blowing up an ounce or two.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby asianflava » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:21 pm

I use gas too, the 3 or 4 times I've done it in my life. The only car I have to pack the bearings on is my truck. All my other cars with 100K and 200K don't require it. I'll say this, which also goes for a lot of things: Common sense goes a long way.

I know a lot of poeple who are extremely intelligent and can rattle off all the information you want to know right off the top of their head. Their only problem is they lack common sense.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby owenmpk » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:48 pm

My 4 cents on all this
1. Not a good idea to use gasoline as a degreaser
2. Latex gloves are disolved by gasoline.
3. Use one of the old races to push the new races all the way in after grinding materal off the outside of the old race so it will slip in to the hub with no issues.
4. Screwdrivers are not punches.
5. Clorinated solvents were develop so they would not burn but they are worse to dump on the ground and ground water then gasoline.
6. MTBE is worse in ground water then gasoline.
owenmpk
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:21 pm

And my tuppence worth...
owenmpk wrote:1. Not a good idea to use gasoline as a degreaser

It works fine if you use a simple bit of caution. For instance, I smoke a pipe - but not when cleaning bearings. I also do it outside so there's plenty of ventilation.
2. Latex gloves are disolved by gasoline.

True. However, using leather gloves with a latex glove as a liner seems to work just fine.
3. Use one of the old races to push the new races all the way in after grinding materal off the outside of the old race so it will slip in to the hub with no issues.

Good idea!
4. Screwdrivers are not punches.

If you're talking about installing a race, quite so. If talking about removing it - if the race is so damaged that it needs to be removed, why worry about damaging it further? If not, why are you removing it?
5. Clorinated solvents were develop so they would not burn but they are worse to dump on the ground and ground water then gasoline.
6. MTBE is worse in ground water then gasoline.

We're talking about a few ounces every couple of years. The environmental impact is so negligible as to be non-existant.

I guess the point is, a thrown bearing is more likely to ruin your day (maybe even your entire vacation) than cleaning it with whatever solvent you choose to use. I tried acetone and it simply didn't do the job. I don't trust the citrus-based solvents to evaporate enough to have no impact on the new bearings and grease.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets