what are the pros/cons to leaf spring axles and torsion axle

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

what are the pros/cons to leaf spring axles and torsion axle

Postby 91xlt » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:22 am

what are the major pro/con issues? which is stronger? i am looking for brute strength for my build, thank you....
91xlt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: what are the pros/cons to leaf spring axles and torsion

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:35 am

91xlt wrote:what are the major pro/con issues? which is stronger? i am looking for brute strength for my build, thank you....

Leaf springs. I have seen too many broken torsion axles. They don't allow the range of motion you get with leaf springs. Springs are also much simpler for emergency repairs.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby elmo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:42 am

If I remember right, aren't you buiding a off-road TD? If so I think that leafs would be your best option, like Rich was saying. That is just my opinion.

Have a Happy Easter!

Elmer out
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Re: what are the pros/cons to leaf spring axles and torsion

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:49 am

Nitetimes wrote:
91xlt wrote:what are the major pro/con issues? which is stronger? i am looking for brute strength for my build, thank you....

Leaf springs. I have seen too many broken torsion axles. They don't allow the range of motion you get with leaf springs. Springs are also much simpler for emergency repairs.

...perzactely what he said...now having said that, torsion axles give a much better ride than springs alone on most surfaces but if you are gonna do some serious off roading then go with springs and consider adding the shocks for a better on road ride
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 91xlt » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:53 am

yeah, thats what i thought. but wanted to be sure. thanks to all.
91xlt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:34 pm

I've seen bent torsion arms (about 2 weeks ago). It does not happen often, and it took hitting a curb at speed to bend this one.

I use leaf springs because they come with h/f trailers. And the only advantage it would be to me to go torsion would be adjustable ride height.... but yes, I think torsion would ride better (and squeak less at night)... but, not enough difference to toss the h/f suspension and spend another $200.00 for a torsion spring with wheels, hubs, etc......... imho.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Chip » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:59 pm

Definately springs and axle,, since its for off road, ya can raise the body with spacers or axle on bottom of springs or lower on top, and if they break,, you can have one spare that can be field replaced and get ya home,, Tortion axles are great but they are more for pavement warriors

jmho
chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:23 pm

Well Ive installed both leaf springs and air shocks.....

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:24 pm

I've had both...torsion on my 49 Kit...but it was ancient when I got it...but it was beat...pretty mushy....I prefer the springs...they give you lots of ways for "field" repairs and height...when you need to do it, and you can pick up a spring a lot easier than the torsion parts if needed...especially in an off road situation...and for squeeking...get the hanger bolts with the grease fittings....just my opinion...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:24 pm

arnereil wrote:I've seen bent torsion arms (about 2 weeks ago). It does not happen often, and it took hitting a curb at speed to bend this one.

I use leaf springs because they come with h/f trailers. And the only advantage it would be to me to go torsion would be adjustable ride height.... but yes, I think torsion would ride better (and squeak less at night)... but, not enough difference to toss the h/f suspension and spend another $200.00 for a torsion spring with wheels, hubs, etc......... imho.

Have ya tryed doing it during the day? :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:26 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (Can he say that on this site?) :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Arne » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:44 am

John, the squeaks just seem louder in the quiet of the night.... I'm guessing it squeaks the same in the day time, as well....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:52 am

I've never seen a torsion axle break, so I can't say either way. If an axle were to fail, leaf springs would be easier to get parts for.

On a side note, what I have seen (and experienced) is a lot of failed bearings from lack of maintenance. Seems to me that the biggest risk area lies in the hubs and tires regardless of the axle used.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets