Dual axle HF trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby angib » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Sonetpro's photo clearly illustrates that having a sharp corner at the bottom of the body, front and back, not only is easier to build and gives you more useful internal space, but it also stops the body being tooo much longer than the frame.

For the record, I reckon an original Cub body is 40% longer than the length of its flat bottom (120" overall vs 86" flat bottom).

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby McTeardrops » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:19 am

John

If that teardrop body thing doesn't work out for you, you could always use that frame for towing tanks through minefields....

Sorry, but you did ask for some ribbing
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:42 am

I imagine it would do great in a explosion! I should make the whole tear our of 1/2" steel plate and find that Limo to tow it. The Frame is WAY overkill, but for the double axles it was almost a requirment. Going uphill will be more difficult than it should be.

Like I said, My welder only makes things that are going to be around till the end of the world.

How do you think it will look with 20" rims and low profile tires?

Thanks for the comments

John :shock: :BE :shake hands:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:55 am

jdarkoregon wrote:How do you think it will look with 20" rims and low profile tires?

Like a roller skate. :lol:
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Sonetpro wrote:
jdarkoregon wrote:How do you think it will look with 20" rims and low profile tires?

Like a roller skate. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Still laughin'!!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:41 pm

ME TOO!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby s_helberg » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:07 pm

First time poster here but this is an idea I've been playing with. A 4x10 HF dually trailer. This is the 8" wheel version.

By the way... This is a really nice forum. Great exchange of ideas from everyone.

Steve
s_helberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdarkoregon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:29 pm

S_helberg

Hey, sounds great and sounds fun ta do, fenders will have to be custom made,

Welcome to the board, if you have been here for awhile you know that the humor is everywhere, be careful, sometimes it is pretty brutal, but all in fun.

Be ready, dual axles go against the norm, but they are accepted, as long as we show pictures, they will go easy on us,

You are right, there is soooooo much knowledge here.

Hope to hear more from you as your project matures

John :applause: :thumbsup: ;)
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:48 pm

Welcome to the board SteveH(oh no another Stevet)...I kinda like the idea of a small tired dual axle setup...be aware(if not already) that is not as simple as bolting up another axle...an equalizer is required between the two sets of springs...discussion and drawings/photos are shown earlier in this thread about this type of setup...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:08 pm

MJ, That's SteveT :lol:
I know if anybody has pulled a split axle it't you. :)
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:13 pm

Sonetpro wrote:MJ, That's SteveT :lol:
I know if anybody has pulled a split axle it't you. :)

..ya see my point...so many Steve's I got confuzed :? :lol: :lol: and yeah, dual axles, triple axles, drop axles, spread alxes...have pulled most all of 'em at one time or another...(spread axles are the toughest...triples ain't no picnic either)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:55 pm

s_helberg wrote:First time poster here but this is an idea I've been playing with. A 4x10 HF dually trailer. This is the 8" wheel version.

By the way... This is a really nice forum. Great exchange of ideas from everyone.

Steve

That's definitely interesting... did you see the discussion we had on the previous page of this thread on pivots? I wonder if your axles need to pivot the same way? :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:15 pm

Mike, to keep the weight equalized on both wheels on a side the "pivot" is needed...that is why it called an "equalizer" :D ;)
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:59 pm

So Madjack, would the placement of the double axles be that of a sandard placement, or would there be some equation for the weight distribution like exist for teardrops?

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:49 pm

John, that is a real good question...one that I have never given consideration previously...the formula that we use for single axle TD's was developed by Andrew our resident engineer, so as far as I know, no similar formula exists for a dual axled trailer.

The basic rule of thumb still applies though...that is between 10 and 20% of total weight on the tongue...with the axle in the position you show in your drawing and the TD being built in the standard manner(rear galley), you would be faced with a tongue weight that is too low, necessitating a movement of the axles to the rear...that movement would probably be only in the 10 to 15% of total length range(amount of movement to the rear)...

There are so many variables that it is really hard to say with any specificity and any thing I have stated above is nothing but S.W.A.G. The only truism in all of this, is the necessity of a 10%+ weight on the tongue...I guess you could say that YOU are the guinea pig this time around

As I have been typing this up, I have come to the conclusion that I really have no idea how it would play out...the 60/40 split onna 12" cabin would put the centerline at 48"s...if it were onna single axle, the centerline would fall at around 44"s so it is close...putting heavy items such as battery/water/propane in the front would probably make the 60/40 split just fine...BUT I just dunno..........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets