Dual axle HF trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:01 pm

Andrew... HELP!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:19 pm

Ah, it makes sense now...

Thanks Leon!!!

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Hmmm I guess that shows you how many tandem axle trailers I've encountered. Actually I've used a couple of them, just never looked at the suspension.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:51 am

Well Mike, glad to see you brought out that photoshoped benroy, it still looks great,

Well, just so you all know, i'm the guy building just such a critter, The frame is done, and waiting for the remainder of the construction to continue.

All of your speculation seems to be right on the money! I did have to build the frame to be more stout due to the double axle. It will cost me more to register it at DMV. It will be larger then what most people here on the board are building, But I have read of people who plan larger trailers. And it sure will tow well.

I'm loving the creative process of building what I have come to call "the longhaul"

But, should any of you out there be foolish enough to build a tandem axle teardrop, Be ready for major ribbing from those participating on this board. When I mentioned it a couple months ago, Finn took off on a tangent -- "finally a place for the hot tub" Well, let me tell you, the frame is large enough for any hot tub, and strong enough too.

I'm looking forward to some of your future ribbing, and hope I get it done so you all can someday see it. You all seem to be some pretty good people.

So, Let your jabbing begin, but if I defend myself, please allow my defense posts to remain.

Okay, START YOUR RIBBING!

John :twisted: :twisted:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 am

...one of the great things about these trailers is you can build WHAT YOU WANT...a perfect example of a dual axle TD is the MaxiTear...maybe someone has a pic or two of it...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:07 am

madjack wrote:...one of the great things about these trailers is you can build WHAT YOU WANT...a perfect example of a dual axle TD is the MaxiTear...maybe someone has a pic or two of it...
madjack 8)

Try here. http://www.maxitear.com/
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:57 am

jdarkoregon wrote:
I'm looking forward to some of your future ribbing, and hope I get it done so you all can someday see it. You all seem to be some pretty good people.

So, Let your jabbing begin, but if I defend myself, please allow my defense posts to remain.

Okay, START YOUR RIBBING!

John :twisted: :twisted:

OK, so where's the pics of this monstrosity? I see one shot of a couple of axles and a drawing. You'll never survive around here if'n ya cain't do better'n nat! 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
What's the specs on it... no numbers on the drawing? :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Sorry it took so long, I'm going crazy with all the little projects I am having to do, Anyway,

The reason this frame is soooooo Stout, is that my welder (my brother-in-law) is a professional welder who builds Cell Towers, Everything he builds can go through a Level 5 Hurricane, AND the metal was almost FREE. There are several Cross bars, as I expect to put in several Under Floor Storage areas and a footwell,

The deck size is 12 feet by 5'8" and the shape of the final trailer with be that of a modernistic but the interior height will only be 48 inches

Thanks for taking the time to make a comment, Ribbing will be expected!

John :thinking:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:15 pm

jdarkoregon How long is the body going to be 14' ?
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby jdarkoregon » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:46 pm

I am concerned about that, I'm hoping to keep it down to 13'6" With a foot in the front, and 6 incles in the rear

To be honest, I think that is Loooooonng If I keep with the design, it will have to be, I have thought about the Benroy design, I just like the classic design of a modernistic

Any Ideas?

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Mine is 143" X 60"
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:51 pm

The modernistic is more graceful when your teardrop gets too long. I would go with that!

Mike...

jdarkoregon wrote:I am concerned about that, I'm hoping to keep it down to 13'6" With a foot in the front, and 6 incles in the rear

To be honest, I think that is Loooooonng If I keep with the design, it will have to be, I have thought about the Benroy design, I just like the classic design of a modernistic

Any Ideas?

John
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jdarkoregon » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:12 pm

SonetPro, how much overhang do you have on the front and the back, I have loved watching your build, and your first beach pictures were beautiful, Exactly what is going on with the siding surface, What is the siding?

Mike, Thanks for the Go Ahead, your comment on length helping the design is exactly how I was thinking, Then it won't look like a bubble.

I have most of the parts, just have to make a couple decisions about material selection. If it weren't for making creative decisions, that really don't make a damn about anything, this build would be easy, BUT, that is what it is all about

Thanks The 2+2 design had a great double opening lower hatch (called Locker doors) that I think I'm going to do, It was Inspiring and a great use of space plus the hatch would be light then.

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:26 pm

My floor is 10' I have a 12" overhang both front and back. Wall height is 48"The siding is clear anodized sheet from SAF. Not as shiny as mill but will always look like that. I didn't want to use mill because it was made to beach camp.
With the mill and salt spray it would have been a maintenance nightmare.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:25 pm

Wasn't someone looking for a teardrop for his limo? How 'bout that stretched Baja BenRoy? :lol:
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets