Drawing Program for newbie

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Drawing Program for newbie

Postby Richo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:51 am

I have looked at a few of the cad programs suggested, but they seem so complicated, (for me anyway!)
But I found one called Google Sketchup which seems super easy to learn and comes with a tutorial for learners.

http://sketchup.google.com/

anyhow just my two cents worth!

* Oh and it does 3d too! :)
Richo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:00 am

Sketch seems to be an easy program, I've just not had the time to look at it yet.

Greg did though... here's Gregs design done in sketch up...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... sc&start=0

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:58 am

Yeah, Sketchup is an excellent program - it has the most intuitive 3D editor of any software I've ever seen, by many miles - it just seems to know which plane you want to be working in. Just what the world has been waiting for - telepathic software! Don't expect any CAD software to work as easily.

There are two downsides:
- It really is a sketching program, not a design program. It's great for sketching the house of your dreams, but not so good if you want to add detail.
- It doesn't offer file formats that are compatible with any other software, so sharing your work isn't easy. Im told the paid-for version can save as DXF and DWG, but it is expensive.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GregB » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:06 am

I've hated every other 3D program that I've tried to use, I must not have the gene, or something. Sketchup, on the other hand, is very intuitive.

Mike, ya gotta' keep up, buddy, that rendering is v1.1. The Minibago is on v3.3 now. I may not find time to build, but I can always seem to find a few minutes here and there to change my design.

Greg
Official Teardrop Heretic
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:03 pm

That wants a floor plan!
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Return to CAD secrets