I've found that Rhino works best

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

I've found that Rhino works best

Postby lydiamcelroy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:52 pm

Rhinocerous (sp?) is a 3-d rendering program that i modeled my tear on. I put the cubby plans on there and then modified them from there... i also tried it on CAD but i found that it was way easier on Rhino.
Lydia McElroy
(Ladybug!!!)
lydiamcelroy
Teardrop Builder

Postby angib » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:55 pm

Yeah, Rhino is the standard for the good yacht designers - you create a model in CAD and then import it to Rhino for presentation work.

Problem is, Rhino costs more than most teardrops!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

re:

Postby lydiamcelroy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:20 pm

i never bought the software, i used it on someone else's computer... but on my new computer i have a knock off version from adobe, i havent tried it yet but i'm told it works the same...
Lydia McElroy
(Ladybug!!!)
lydiamcelroy
Teardrop Builder

Postby TinKicker » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:13 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is a free version of Rhino out there and where I can download it from? If this knockoff version Lydia mentioned from Adobe is the same, where can I get that?
I've never needed to learn CAD, and Sketchup is serving me pretty well, but I can see that there are some things missing from its feature set. I'd like to try some other programs.
Thanks...
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby TinKicker » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:15 pm

By the way, Lydia, your Ladybug is pretty cool. I bet you get a lot of smiles. :)
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:58 am

TinKicker wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is a free version of Rhino out there and where I can download it from? If this knockoff version Lydia mentioned from Adobe is the same, where can I get that?
I've never needed to learn CAD, and Sketchup is serving me pretty well, but I can see that there are some things missing from its feature set. I'd like to try some other programs.
Thanks...

I don't know about Rino or how it works, but Blender is a free 3-D modeling software program!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby TinKicker » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 pm

Kerry, I took a look at Blender and it seems to be a VERY comprehensive program. If you've got experience with it, tell me if you can design around measurements like "4'x8'", or do you just draw it so that it looks right? You know, more of a technical style or more of a modelling style?
Just did some searching and found out Rhino seems to be a purchase-only product for about $995. They do have an evaluation version that lets you save 25 times and then won't save anymore. Sketchup looks REAL good now!
I appreciate the reference and the help so much.
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:18 am

I really have not used the program, so I cannot answer your question without some research.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby TinKicker » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:39 am

Kerry, I downloaded Blender this morning, so when I get a little time I'm going to experiment with it. I'll post something later. Thanks again!
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Rhino 3-D

Postby CNC Pro » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:20 am

In my opinion, for the money, Rhino 3-D is the best CAD program that I own or have used.
As the owner of a CNC job shop I have several CAD/CAM programs and Rhino has proven to be the best I’ve used. The customer support should be the benchmark for not just software, but all consumer products.
And just a little hint…
I purchased my commercial version. But I found that they offer a “educational version” a great price that’s the same package as the commercial version just in a different box.
CNC Pro
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Kelsey,
Rhino offers an evaluation download at no cost... It will open and save 25 times. After that it will still open and work, but you won't be able to save your work after the 25th time. I guess you could always just not close it and not turn the computer off after 24 goes at it. :R

After viewing Andrew's renderings of my fender parts, I must learn how to use CAD.
I'm downloading the evaluation download right now.

Correction: The Rhino evaluation version is fully functional to give hands-on experience. After the first 25 saves and exports, models or renderings will no longer save.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Return to CAD secrets