TurboCAD question?

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

TurboCAD question?

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:33 pm

I know some of you folks are familiar with TurboCAD... I'm pretty green using this CAD stuff. I'd like to trace off a profile from a picture I drew. How can I import the pic into a layer so I can trace it?

I'm using TurboCAD v.10.1

thanks... Brick
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:38 pm

On as similar note. Is there anyone here that knows how to do a frame drawing from a picture of a trailer. I need the frame without the deck of this trailer drawn in just as a line drawing, preferably at about a 10 degree angle from the top left or right. Tongue to the left would be good.
Trailer is built from 16" H beam, 4" channel X-members piercing the main frame, 6" channel side rails with the main frame and outer rails flush on top. Any takers?
Needs to be about 750 px wide.

Oh by the way, a light grey background would be really nice
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Re: TurboCAD question?

Postby angib » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:25 am

Podunkfla wrote:How can I import the pic into a layer so I can trace it?

1) Put the pic/scan into the drawing: Insert/Picture/From File. TurboCad will accept almost any graphics format.

2) Create a new layer for the pic/scan: Options/Layers/New. Type in a recognisable name for the new layer and make sure it has a lower order (6th column) than any other layer you're using. (You may need to give all the existing layers higher orders to 'make space'!)

3) Back in the drawing, select the pic/scan and change its layer to the new one you just created - on the default screen layout, use the layer drop-down box, or else use the menu: Format/Properties/General.

2) and 3) are needed so that the pic/scan will display 'behind' everything else, so that you will automatically trace 'over' it. Putting it in a different layer enables you to make the layer invisible later when you've done tracing it. It also enables you to 'lock' the layer containing the pic/scan which means that you will see it, but can't select it, when working on the drawing.

Make sense?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: TurboCAD question?

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:57 pm

angib wrote:
Podunkfla wrote:How can I import the pic into a layer so I can trace it?

1) Put the pic/scan into the drawing: Insert/Picture/From File. TurboCad will accept almost any graphics format.

2) Create a new layer for the pic/scan: Options/Layers/New. Type in a recognisable name for the new layer and make sure it has a lower order (6th column) than any other layer you're using. (You may need to give all the existing layers higher orders to 'make space'!)

3) Back in the drawing, select the pic/scan and change its layer to the new one you just created - on the default screen layout, use the layer drop-down box, or else use the menu: Format/Properties/General.

2) and 3) are needed so that the pic/scan will display 'behind' everything else, so that you will automatically trace 'over' it. Putting it in a different layer enables you to make the layer invisible later when you've done tracing it. It also enables you to 'lock' the layer containing the pic/scan which means that you will see it, but can't select it, when working on the drawing.

Make sense?

Andrew

Just what I needed to know! Makes lots of sense. :thumbsup:

Thanks Andrew... :applause:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Aaron Coffee » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:08 pm

I also have a question on turbo cad(don't know version). Downloaded a few designs from the design library, would like to print them with a grid, so I can determine cordinates to draw a full size template. Can get it to display a grid on the screen, but can't get it to print with the grid.
Thanks
Aaron
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:51 am

Aaron Coffee wrote:Can get it to display a grid on the screen, but can't get it to print with the grid.

TurboCad won't do that for you - you just have to 'draw' in the grid yourself:
- draw in one base line in each direction;
- use edit/copy/linear to repeat that gridline 20, 50 or whatever times at the spacing you want;
- select all the gridlines and use format/send-to-back to put the gridlines 'under' the drawing, not on top;
- or better still, use options/layers to create a new drawing layer for the gridlines, so you can make your grid layer visible/invisible;
- think about making the gridline at every 12" a different colour, so you know which gridline is which.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to CAD secrets