CAD mac question

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

CAD mac question

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:46 am

Which of these CAD progames works best with
Mac OS X tigar??

Any thoughts or ideas you can share

would be appricated.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: CAD mac question

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:40 am

You mean that's affordable? I recall TurboCAD for the Mac being reasonable.

There's also a couple freebies, someone else will have to chime in with that info...

Mike...

Ron Dickey wrote:Which of these CAD progames works best with
Mac OS X tigar??

Any thoughts or ideas you can share

would be appricated.

Ron D.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby lcurrie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 am

There is a free (and pro/paid) version of Google Sketchup for the Mac. I think a lot of the folks on the forum use Sketchup for their plans and drawing.

If you're looking for a higher end and super robust program (also very expensive), check out this list.

HTH,

Lynn
lcurrie
Silver Donating Member

Try High Design

Postby giametti » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:44 pm

The best in the affordable category for Mac is High Design (ilexsoft.com). The new OSX version of TurboCad is OK, but a bit clunky. Both of these programs can be downloaded as a trial to compare them.
I followed the auctions on eBay and picked up an academic copy of Vectorworks a couple years back. Its still functioning well. A new copy of it runs nearly $1000.
giametti
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mmocken » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:41 pm

I just purchased ViaCad from Punch for $80 at amazon.

I am a long time Mac user(since 89), using both ClarisCad and Ashlar Vellum. I can say that ViaCad is as a great cad program on par with both. i am also using it on an old iBook G3 800Mhz...not meeting the minimum requirements, but running fine!

Punch also has a lower cost 2D program Concepts2D with a free demo.

I tried Google Sketchup...its free, but lacks the power, i did not like it...maybe the pro version is good

my first post here! :D
mmocken
Teardrop Inspector

Not a CAD...

Postby myoung » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:23 am

While not a CAD program, I've found that Apple's Keynote, the presentation software works surprisingly well for drawing objects and then piecing them together to resemble actual mechanical drawings. If you don't need the precision and the ability to generate construction drawings per se, then this app might be worth a shot.

For other mockups, in particular an iPad app I'm working on, I've found Omnigraffle ideal. It has an extensive library of objects and you can create your own. So, that sense it is similar to Keynote in its applicability for testing design ideas and manipulating objects.

Frankly, I've found Google SketchUp Pro more than frustrating. It is not a drafting program but rather a object rendering program that makes creation tedious and annoying. Others have become comfortable with it, but I'm not in that crowd.

If you are interested in how Keynote objects can be developed into a design, my sketches are in the Forum at:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=39401&highlight=
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:39 am

mmocken wrote:I just purchased ViaCad from Punch for $80 at amazon.

I'm guessing you bought the mid-level package in the ViaCAD set.

Does this allow for quick and easy dimensioning? How about the tools for changing the shape or dimensions of objects?

Does it follow the Apple GUI guidelines or does it make compromises to satisfy the WinDoze customers?
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby Thawley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:33 am

AutoCAD for Mac 2012 is availible for free to educators & students from Autodesk.
Thawley
Teardrop Advisor

Return to CAD secrets