SketchUp to .dxf

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

SketchUp to .dxf

Postby GregB » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:36 pm

There wouldn't happen to be anyone out there who could convert a .skp file to a .dxf would there? I'd love to have my walls cut by CNC, but I need a .dxf file and I only have the free version of SketchUp. I would be happy to pay for your time.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Re: SketchUp to .dxf

Postby Mary K » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:46 pm

GregB wrote:There wouldn't happen to be anyone out there who could convert a .skp file to a .dxf would there? I'd love to have my walls cut by CNC, but I need a .dxf file and I only have the free version of SketchUp. I would be happy to pay for your time.

GB

GB, I work with Autocad and can try to convert it for you. I have never heard of that file type so I might not be able too. If you want to send it to my email address I will give it a go in the morning. And, no I don't want any pay for it. What are TD friends for if not to lend a hand once in while?

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby GregB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:12 am

Thanks, Mary. I'll try to get it to you this weekend. BTW, love the dance.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:57 pm

Greg,

I looked briefly at the file formats a while back, and what I think I saw is that you have to buy the commercial version of Sketchup in order to be able to export anything worthwhile. And the commercial version is thousands and thousands of dollars.

Now if we could get 50 guys to chip in $100 we might be able to buy it... No, no, no... I'm just kidding... ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Trackstriper » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:40 pm

Greg,

I looked at your album. Your trailer design has really developed. Nice work, I really like it.

I play around in Sketchup a little, and also do some personal/business design things in TurboCad, but I'm still a duffer. TurboCad Learning Edition used to be available as freeware on the internet. I couldn't find it ten minutes ago, but maybe it's still out there. That's what I started with several years ago. Now I have TC v9.0, but even that's probably old now. The thing is, TurboCad Learning Edition is really pretty basic and intuitive. If you can do Sketchup, you could work with (not master) TC LE in an hour or two. That way you would have another tool to work with. The v9.0 that I have will let me save drawings in many formats, including .dxf and I suspect that LE might also allow that too. One of the other CAD users might be able to verify that.

I use Turbo cad to think things out in two dimensions. The Sketchup helps me think in three dimensions. From looking at your album drawings I'm sure you could learn the basic CAD functions quickly.

JB
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby GregB » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:03 pm

Mike,

It looks like Google SketchUp 6 is only $495, so now you only need 5 guys. :D

JB,

Thanks for the encouragement but take a look at the final design. It now looks like a Grumman. I'd been hiding this design for 4 months or so now, because I design but don't build. Any way, this is what I'm planning on building as soon as I get the file to my CNC guy.

I love it, but it's a long way from the MiniBago. Unfortunately, I'm using a Mac and I'm now loathe to return to XP, even to learn a free CAD package. SketchUp seems to be the only one that works the way I think.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:08 pm

I really liked the Minibago...

Really, only $495... I've gotta go take a look...

Mike...

P.S. Kewl... you are right on the new price...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GregB » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:36 pm

Aww, Mike,

Now you're making me feel guilty!

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby Mary K » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:02 am

Greg, I got your file...still trying to figure it out. Not looking promising though. Have you checked for an export option in you virsion of SU??

I might have better luck on my work PC, so if you can wait till Monday... :)

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby GregB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:42 pm

Yup, no go. Although I did find out that I can download an 8hour trial version of SU Pro for free. Though, I still don't know if it will export .dxf files.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Greg, I'm sorry, but I can not figure out how to convert it. :thumbdown: :(

I searched the internet and can not find a darn thing on it.

Sorry :(

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:22 pm

Google SketchUp Pro 6

In addition to everything you can do with Google SketchUp 6, using Google SketchUp Pro 6 you can:

* Export in additional 2D formats:
o Portable Document Format (.pdf)
o Encapsulated PostScript Format (.eps)
o Epix (.epx)
o AutoCAD (.dwg, .dxf)
* Export 3D models in additional formats:
o 3DS (.3ds)
o AutoCAD DWG (.dwg)
o AutoCAD DXF (.dxf)
o FBX (.fbx).
o OBJ (.obj)
o XSI (.xsi)
o VRML (.vrml)
* Export animations and walkthroughs as MOV or AVI files.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Esteban » Mon May 28, 2007 8:35 pm

Can teardrop plans from the Design Library be imported, in .dxf format, into SketchUp 6 (free version) for further customization? I'd like to be able to come up with customized dimensioned plans to build from.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby rvsixer » Mon May 04, 2009 1:00 pm

I realize its a little late to the party, but it still looks like this went unanswered (without having to purchase Sketchup Pro that is).

DoubleCAD XT (free) will import .skp files which can then be saved as .dxf.

Rob.
rvsixer
Teardrop Builder

Postby Blink » Wed May 06, 2009 4:48 pm

If you still need it done, I will give it a shot. Running SketchUp 6.0 Pro but I've never tried exporting DXF's. Email me the file: lanew(at)rogers(dot)com.
Blink
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to CAD secrets