Google Sketchup...drawing an ellipse

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Google Sketchup...drawing an ellipse

Postby Tear Les » Mon May 28, 2007 3:27 pm

I've been going through the tutorial seciton on sketchup and looked through the help section but I can't seem to figure out how to draw and ellipse (like is often found at the ends of teardrops). If someone here knows how to do that will you share the secret? :thinking:

I've been using DeltaCAD for quite some time for 2D but I'm trying to find a way to do a bit in 3D.

Thanks!
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby Sonetpro » Mon May 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Draw a circle then click the scale button.(white box with a arrow in it) When you click on the circle grab a point and stretch it into an ellipse.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Tear Les » Mon May 28, 2007 9:53 pm

Thanks. :) I think I can work out the focus points from there.

However, I thought when stretched it into an ellipse and brought points to the edge of the rectangle the circle was drawn on that it would break the plane so I could get rid to the extra bit of rectangle.

In real world terms what I'm trying to do is replicate the "cut off" at the upper front corner of the teardrop. I started with my rectangle (the profile view of the TD) and now I want to cut away the extra upper/forward part of that to end up with the elliptical front that the TD has.

If this is an easy answer thanks in advance; if it's just too much tying I'll understand! :lol: This isn't something I have to do; I'd just like to take the 2D drawings I have and see what it might look like in the Sketchup 3D world.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby Sonetpro » Tue May 29, 2007 4:45 am

Easiest way to do that is to draw a arc at the front. After you draw it you can grab points on it to adjust it.

}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Return to CAD secrets