SketchUp troubles...

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

SketchUp troubles...

Postby Dewi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:07 am

I'm getting there with Sketchup... I can now move things into position as I want them (with a bit of scutching around) and I can do the basic drawings easy enough... but how do I skin things? For example...

The trailer here is a skeleton... how do I go about adding a side to it? At the moment I'm drawing around the shape and pulling it to the depth, but is there an easier and quicker way to go about this?

Also, I want things designed to scale, but I can't seem to hold accurately for 10ft or even 10"... is there anywhere where I can specify dimensions to it? If there is, I'm betting its right in front of me and I can't see the wood for the trees.

Really good program though... enjoying it.

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:32 am

I think your problem is that your trailer is backwards....or you have the car attached to the wrong end of it!! 8) 8) :lol:
Actually I have no idea, I never did take the time to figure that program out, tried it a couple of times and it was a flop! :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Dewi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:12 am

:lol: :lol:

:oops: Um... yeah, it is back to front :oops:

The design I'm doing is like a Jim Dandy, with the kitchen at the front, so I automatically put the kitchen end to the boot of the Deli.

I'm learning SketchUp gradually, but its nothing like any of my other drawing programs... bit weird thinking in 3D it is. (I think my other problem is I'm beginning to type like Yoda so I am :roll: )

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

dimensions

Postby pirates712 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:04 pm

if you want to specify the dimensions for a rectangle, for example, click the rectangle tool and specify the start point for your rectangle. Then, just enter the values for the dimensions you want for the rectangle. You will see them in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Use " for inches and ' for feet. Enter one dimension at a time. If you want a 5'x5' rectangle, specify the start point, type 5' ENTER 5' Enter

Good Luck
pirates712
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sam I am » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:50 pm

Dewi, you might be able to copy the side outline some known distance awayfrom the tear, say 2 feet. It it's a closed shape, it becomes a surface and you can push it to the thickness you want for your skin, say 1/4". Then move the surface back 2 feet till it's back on the teardrop.
I've used Sketchup to draw teardrops, but I made the sides solid, about an inch thick. I had more trouble getting the curved skin on the hatch.
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby agpage » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 am

The trick with sketchup is to watch the create new face feature, and to use groups/layers.

For example, when drawing a trailer side, I would first draw the profile. Then I would "pull" the face to the require thickness (1/4" or so) then select it and make all of the edges and faces a group. Then you can use the offset feature to make new lines, and draw up your framing. Pull that to 3/4" of an inch. Select everything, then unselect the outside skin and make that a group. Then copy (based on the move command) the outer skin, to the inside, and adjust the thickness as necessary.

When you draw on a group, you make a new face. The way you preserve the internal structure. When you try and modify existing faces you end up with complex hollow forms.

Andrew Page
agpage
Donating Member

Postby Dewi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Thank you for the tips :) I've been practising a little... and although I know it doesn't look like much, this is where I'm up to drawing frames with skins over...

A bit of a long way from being able to visualise a TD, but I'm learning.

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Return to CAD secrets