Not much but it is a start, done in Sketchup

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Not much but it is a start, done in Sketchup

Postby coostv » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Well, I do not remember if I have even posted to this group before (I suppose I could look it up, but I am, well, lazy).

This is my first attempt at using any sort of 3d modeling program. I would like to build a utility trailer and I plan to build a small hybrid slide in for this trailer of my own design. The perimeter tubing is 2"x3"x3/16" and the running gear will be rated for 3500# and the size will be 6.5'x12'.

I am learning as I go here, but I am running into road blocks on the axle, springs, wheels, angle steel for cross beams, etc. How have others done it? I tried the search, but maybe my terms are not the same as others use?

Thanks,

Chris
Last edited by coostv on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coostv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi Chris,

That's a tough question... but of course we have answers...

Grab a file out of the design library, and look at a side view.

Or grab a wrl file, and look at a side view.

Here's one with a torsion axle..

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/ww1.wrl

and here is the harbor freight 4x8 with the axle you mentioned. Sorry, I forgot the tongue!
http://www.mikenchell.com/images/harborfreight.wrl

Remember to grab cortona to view these files...

http://www.cortona3d.com/cortona

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Dewi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Thats a good start... took me weeks to get that far in SketchUp, its not as easy as the tutorials make out is it? :roll:

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm

WhaI did was to find some trailers in the online 3-d warehouse and edit from them. You can the scale them to whatever size you need - it takes some practice. My trailer can be found by using the search terms'Starleen2 4x8 no floor trailer" for a 4x8 TSC trailer
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby coostv » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks guys. Mike, I could not get the program to load to view those files so I tried a different one, it loaded, but the files do not open. I will play with that later.

I had some time today to mess around a bit. I may not even care if I get an axle on it. I am more or less doing it for my steel layout. I do however have a nifty dotted line where the axle would be.

Next I need to set the spring spacing for the other cross members. I like SketchUp, it seems a bit easier than the last one I tried.

Thanks again.

Chris
coostv
Teardrop Inspector

Return to CAD secrets